No announcement yet.

Period Printed Handkerchief Repros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Period Printed Handkerchief Repros...

I also must be an OF, as I too ordered both.
    Robert Orrand
    N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
    Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
    4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Sorry, but I just now noticed this thread. The dimensions given are of the Joseph Arnold handkerchief as it is today. About 2" are missing from one edge.

I was a bit disappointed in the end result of the reproduction. We went through a middle man who had contact with the maker in Pakistan. It was a nightmare getting these done. It was supposed to have been printed on yellow cotton fabric (like the original), but they printed it yellow instead. They also used too much sizing and I had to wash mine in hot water serveral times to get it out. I didn't see and streaking.

Due to the difficulties getting these made, we will not be reproducing them again.

There ar five left in the museum gift shop.

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
      According to the museum's website, the original is handkerchief carried by Joseph Arnold is 21 x 19 inches. I don't know if that refers to the original dimension or the existing artifact as the description states that 3 inches is missing from one end. Perhaps Scott Cross could add to this.

http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual...t3/e30207a.htm
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Ditto...nice work and great collaboration between Tristan and Chris to further the hobby. Good job guys!
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Thanks to all who have ordered! I am excited about this project and continuing on with more. Your purchases make these things possible! Thanks again.
          Chris Utley
          South Union Mills
          [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
          [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Ordered a blue one today...looking forward to it's arrival with great anticipation!
            C. Scott Brown
            Co M 1st MO Light Artillery Turner Brigade
            Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614 Dept. of MO
            Chaplain, SUVCW Dept. of MO
            Treasurer, S. Central MO Civil War Round Table
            Civil War Trust Member

[B]In honor of my paternal Great-grandfather, Pvt. Francis Marion Brown, Co. D, 29th IL Inf[/B] &
            [B]my maternal Great great-grandfather, Pvt. James Madison Hendrickson, along with brothers Pvt. Thomas Jefferson Hendrickson and Pvt. Solomon Hendrickson, all of Co. G, 99th IL Inf[/B]

Comment

I checked the museum's gift shop today. There are nine Joseph Arnold handkerchiefs left. You can call an order into the gift shop at 920-236-5762, Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 AM-4:30 PM, and Sunday from 1:00-4:30PM.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I received my "Galloway" handkerchief today and I'm very pleased with it. Chris is very prompt with everything including his customer service.

Dennis W. Duerbeck
                Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis W. Duerbeck View Post
                  I received my "Galloway" handkerchief today and I'm very pleased with it. Chris is very prompt with everything including his customer service.

Dennis W. Duerbeck
                  I have to second what Dennis wrote. I am very pleased with the hanky(s) that arrived yesterday. Great communication and follow through as well. Almost a shame to get them dirty...but I will!
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Agreed, mine looks great also.
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Awesome looking handkerchief, but like the instructions point out, wash in cold water the first time. I ended up with a sink full of blue water but didn't seem to effect the appearance of the product at all afterwards.
                      Mike McGee
                      Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
                      Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
                      Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
                      Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
                      KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
                      Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the note. If anyone does see any effect from washing, please let me know. They all should be good to go, though.
                        Chris Utley
                        South Union Mills

Comment

Got one red an one blue. Washed out, did get the blue water, but the handkerchiefs are fine.And are a great product.
                          Robert Orrand
                          N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
                          Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
                          4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

I got mine and whashed them in cold water and air dried them. They are just as described.

The only issue I have is that they are rectangular where as I always thought period ones were square. But I trust the reproduction in this case.

To a person who does not know much about period Hankerchiefs they might not recognize them as reproductions. They look remarkably like ones from the 1960's and 70's that I still have in my dresser.

Over all I like them and hope for more repros in the future.
                            Thanks,

Mark C. Foster
                            Flint, Mi

Comment

Mark, that old reenactor myth of "they were all square" is just a myth. I have viewed several and most are not square. The Galloway repro is the exact size of the original. It's funny, but being a vendor of authentic wares I often battle reenactorisms more than inaccurate information.
                              Chris Utley
                              South Union Mills

Comment

Working...
                              X