Do we wear Costumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we wear Costumes?

In an effort to think out loud I have to ask the question…Do we wear costumes and/or does it even matter what people call them.

While attending a planning meeting for an upcoming living history event, the term “reenactor costumes” was said. It was at this point that I had a revelation:

In the past, I have been irritated when those who were not “properly” educated or simply ignorant called our uniforms “Costumes”. Making it a point to correct them and try to properly educate them between the difference between costumes and period correct clothing; the difference between living history and Theater/acting. Additionally, my reenacting friends and fellow members of our unit felt similar and some were very defensive about this “wrong” terminology.

However, over the years and culminating during the said meeting listed above, I have slowly questioned this “standard” term. Looking at our hobby from the perspective of the public, I can see how our hobby officially falls within the realm of theater and as a type of acting. Simply look at our ultimate goal of the best, most accurate, first person impression as a truly authentic impression. This is obviously a type of acting.

On a different note, some in our unit have recently spent time with a professional theater in which they spent more than $10,000.00 on the most authentic Victorian dress with the entire focus on authenticity to the single stitch…and yet this theater called it a “Costume”. Try to say that to reenactors.

Lastly the 2nd actual definition of “Costume” found in Webster is: “a set of clothes in a style typical of a particular country or historical period”

We wear costumes, plain and simple.

In closing I have come to the conclusion that I have come full circle from where my ignorant self had started. I now accept with and agree that our wonderful hobby falls within the realm of “theater” and in fact the first person impression that many of us strive so much to achieve is the purest form of acting. I no longer disagree that our clothing is/are costume(s) and I really don’t care anymore when a carefully prepared impression is called a costume.

I appreciate your time in reading my raw thoughts and am wondering what everyone’s thoughts are out there. I know there are quite a few similar threads and Hank Trent’s thread on this subject was an excellent one that honestly has been in the back of my head since its first post in 2010 (http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...erformance-Art). I thought hard about just posting my thought in that thread but felt it didn't quite fit nor did I want to detract from that awesome thread from a few years back.

Thoughts?
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Re: Do we wear Costumes?

In the overall scheme of things does it really matter what the public calls a uniform? Most of the public barely knows the difference between US and CS.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Jim,

Agreed.I am just happy doing what I do.
      Steven Dacus
      Casper, Wyoming
      11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

I can live with what the public thinks because it presents an opportunity to share and teach. The trouble comes about in how it frames your mind and the unit you have chosen. Why should we demand better quality in gear, drill, knowledge? When I remind folks in my unit it is a uniform, care in the impression improves and attitude to their musket changes from stage prop to weapon. We're able to better demonstrate to the public our interest in history and not be considered another silly group with too much money and time on their hands whose end goal is to put on funny hats, crawl into tents and drink lots of beer.
        Mike Stein
        Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Well- It is a "costume" to the uneducated public-- a "uniform" to members of your Company or Regiment, a "uniform"to other living historians, or to current Military personnel--"costume" to a theatre group working on "dressing" the actors-- and your finest Civil War Federal or Confederate Officer uniform for which you paid $1,000's for would be a "costume" at a Halloween Party--

I too had an epiphany on what the public thinks or says or other living historians-- "You" have to make up your mind on how "you" and others like "you" perceive yourselves, and the when and where dictates that-- We all who are engaged in the Hobby of the American Civil War whether it be Round Tables, Battlefield Preservation, Collecting, Writing, Genealogy, Living History, etc., etc., all share in the same interest and we love what we do-- the most important single good that comes out of this is the friends we have and will have, the time around a campfire, the laughing, the pride---attending a Civil War Seminar in Gettysburg or in your local city, or working at an historic site, or just looking through all the books available on the NET or perusing the Authentic Campaigner after dinner!! I say keep an open mind, enjoy yourself. your "pards" and friends will keep you entertained and happy for a lifetime [I Know] and to "all" keep the whole thing going making it better and better for everyone who shares our interest in CW History...

Tom Arliskas
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

yes, it's a costume. in some cases a right expensive costume.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
            Past President Potomac Legion
            Long time member Columbia Rifles
            Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I'm with JimKindred - I stand by the motto: if you are wearing a "costume" you are doing it wrong! I feel to have the "costume" attitude is to dishonor those we strive to honor and preserve. We have to think "uniform" in order to be in the right zone of what we are striving for. Yeah, technically it is a costume - but why are we debating semantics? As far as reenactors are concerned - it is a uniform and must be though of as such.
              Erik Von Gorr

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, this is a matter very much akin to either being inside the fish bowl looking out, or outside looking in.

On the inside, most reenactors and living historians take some measure of personal pride in our research and how it gets applied to the material culture of the CW era For example- the three tiered 'Gold Standard' of Period raw materials; Period models, patterns, forms; and Period methods of construction or manufacture.

"We" do not much like our efforts and expenses of time and money put at the same level of cheap theatrical props or worse yet the kind of 'toy level" clothing that can be bought in Halloween shops.

On the outside, say in "academia" clothing that is not now contemporarily being worn.. such as clothing from the past, is costume. And one will find "Curators of Costumes" and 'Costume" floors or wings in many museums.
                A few veterans and servicemen also do not like "hobbyists" referring to their reenacting costumes as their "uniforms" in a similar vein that many dislike seeing reenactors wearing pretend awards, decorations, and medals they did not really earn.

Anyways, IMHO, a matter of perspective and position.

I refer to mine and ours as "uniforms' because, in the Period, that is what they were and what they were known to the soldiers of their time.

Others' mileage will vary....

Curt
                Dressed up in his unicorn, poor little chap. They grafted him into the Army Mess
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt said it right..."I refer to mine and ours as "uniforms' because, in the Period, that is what they were and what they were known to the soldiers of their time."

I'm currently deployed and to pass the time between my watches, I've been working on my Wambaugh and White SA Fatigue Blouse kit. I had to explain to my shipmates that I was not putting together a funny costume to wear on what they called "role playing weekends". I explained to them that this was a reproduction uniform and as living historians, we strive to recreate the 1860s in every aspect...just as other living historians recreate WWII, etc. I even mentioned that the uniform we wear now in the Coast Guard will probably be reproduced for reenactors years and years from now...I asked them how they would feel if someone called our uniform a costume? But why anyone would want to reenact the Coast Guard is beyond me :)

Brian
                  Brian Shajari
                  Tolerance Lodge 1165 AF&AM, Texas
                  Co. L, 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment Lone Star Rifles
                  Hawaii American Civil War Roundtable Group

Proud descendent of: PVT William B. Wales, Louisiana Crescent Regiment
                  and Pvt. James Groves, Jr., Co. K, 6th Louisiana Cavalry

Comment

Well, I don't wear a costume. I too am with Jim Kindred. I wear a museum quality reproduction of a United States Army Uniform as laid out in period Army uniform regulations. A costume has no guidelines, it has no parameters, a costume is what you make it. Even Webster's definition quoted above, "a style of clothes of a period" leaves flexibility for a costume and loose interpretation. I wear what is strictly described, in the manner described, or documented in period photos or accounts. Now, that is for me; certainly I would agree there are those in the hobby who wear costumes since their impressions come no where near depicting what period Soldiers actually wore...
                    Frank Siltman
                    24th Mo Vol Inf
                    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                    Company of Military Historians
                    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                    X