Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local designation: Rough and Readies

Fellows,

I have always had an interest in local designations for southern companys. Monikers like 'the bartow county yankee killers' always stood out among the dozens of ' jones county rifles' or 'abc river guards'.

So far I have been able to track down 6 companies from 5 states that used 'rough and readies' as their designation:

Co. A 6th Mississippi
    Co. D 17th Mississippi
    Co. F 16th Georgia
    Co. F 14th North Carolina
    Co. ? 4th North Carolina
    Co. I. 49th Virginia

1) Does anyone know of other companies with this designation?

2) Any idea as to origin?

Many thanks
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Re: Local designation: Rough and Readies

Always seemed to me a tribute to Zachary Taylor, who received the appellation during the Seminole Wars.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

There are some others on this list of N.C. troops: http://www.statetroopsandvolunteers.com/locdes2.html
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Hallo!

Not "Rough And Ready," but on a similar line...

Was Captain John B. Gordon's Company "I" (later "D") of the 6th Alabama Infantry. Originally organized as cavalry, they were made up of mountaineers and coal miners. IIRC, Gordon wrote that as they were marching through a town, and were asked who they were. Gordon replied the "Mountain Rifles" to which a voice form the ranks yelled out that they were not the Mountain Rifles but the "Raccoon Roughs."
        Likely derived from their lack of uniforms, but common headgear of a "coonskin hat."

(Now that would draw 'attention" at an 1861 event, for lads to show up in raccoon hats.. ;) :) :) )

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Choctaw Rough and Readies: Co. D 3rd MS Batt/45th MS Infantry

I had a G-Uncle in the Rough and Readies of the 14th North Carolina.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Working...
          X