X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pending Forum Closure

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
    How many members are on here? If we all paid $1/month ($12 annually) to be a member, would it cover expenses?

I'm also curious: Who all runs, moderates and administers the forum now?

thanks,
    Good question, Joe. According to the stats here, there are more than 3,000 members, so the cost might come to considerably less:

Authentic Campaigner Website & Forums Statistics

Threads: 36,059 Posts: 234,526 Members: 9,680 Active Members: 3,039

I also counted more than a dozen "Approved Vendors" who ostensibly contribute $100 each for the privilege.

I wouldn't mind contributing, but I guess I'd like to know how much they need.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Is there a way to look and see when your membership expires or expired?
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
        Is there a way to look and see when your membership expires or expired?
        It's in Settings > Paid Subscriptions

Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

In considering this discussion, can someone please tell me the date range of the Forum archives? As a test, I just searched for all my own postings and find they are limited to the past year or two. Although certainly not voluminous, my postings certainly went back nearly ten years, I believe. Have the archives been "clipped" or is my user status limited in some way?

Thank you for your assistance!

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
          Bob McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McDonald
            Although certainly not voluminous, my postings certainly went back nearly ten years, I believe. Have the archives been "clipped" or is my user status limited in some way?
            I just looked and saw 42 total posts going back to 2003. The summary of information about each of the posts covered two pages.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McDonald
              Although certainly not voluminous, my postings certainly went back nearly ten years, I believe. Have the archives been "clipped" or is my user status limited in some way?
              I just looked and saw 42 total posts going back to 2003. The summary of information about each of the posts covered two pages.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Donation sent. The possibility of everything going to CWR, Facebook, or some other means of social communication will not be a good thing. The AC unified the authentic hobby movement. If it goes down, I see us reverting back to the late 90s of smaller messes and companies, without cohesion on a large scale.

How many group pages can you really monitor on facebook -and those who don't want to join FB; message boards?
                Mark Krausz
                William L. Campbell
                Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                Old Northwest Volunteers
                Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Mark:

My sincere thanks. For some reason, searching via "User Name" picks up only a small fraction, but searching otherwise yields as you found.

Much appreciated,

Bob McDonald
                  Bob McDonald

Comment

As others have voiced, it would be a shame if the A-C Forum ended. Maybe it is my age but I really don't like Facebook and visit my page very, very rarely.

As for the A-C, I usually communicate with other members via PM and usually only contribute to discussions when I feel I have something truly relevant to add to the dialogue. I think (hope) many would agree that even though the A-C has its faults (those common to many special interest/ discussion forums) and some pointless postings/threads, there is also as great wealth of very useful information and knowledge shared. Of course much more can be said about the value of this forum, if your a member here you most likely know what it is.

So, donation sent. If it is "lost" because the A-C ends so be it, we spend so much money on this hobby the loss of $15.00 would be trivial. Personally I would not mind if it was required for us to pay an annual membership fee, hopefully that would not turn enough people away to cause the membership to decline enough to close the A-C.
                    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

I agree donation sent
                      Joe Coyle

Comment

Lets all consider this... Supposedly there is a sizable cost to maintaining this website. However, where has there been an honest, detailed, complete and publicly presented statement of income, expenditures, and donations? In seven years, I have never seen one. The Head Shed should be mindful that they may keep getting money with simple appeals and additional access, but there will be many who will choose not to donate when they don't see the result.

I strongly urge the powers that be to make a full accounting of where the money goes from this point forward and show the real cost of the website and the amount being donated to preservation and amount be paid for services to individuals and corporations.

I've sent funds in the past to keep the access I desire, but increasingly the AC is less and less relevance for those who actually "campaign" and participate in high level events, while the amount of new research has dwindled which makes it less useful for those wishing to be "authentic" to grow and learn. Without encouraging both Authenticity and Campaigning, the name "Authentic Campaigner" becomes an ironic punchline in my opinion. And this hub-bub about needing money to keep access to stale information on a site that doesn't promote quality event is moot.
                        Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM. Reason: fixed my bad spelling...
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

If Jim wants to offer a full accounting - he's welcome to. I never have taken the time because it's time consuming - I just turn it in to my tax guy once a year. I take some income for doing all the updates etc and fixing problems that arise - that varies depending on how much work is necessary.

The cost of running the site after all the license fees, hosting fees, software upgrades etc is probably in the $2k per year area. Believe me - if the site was highly profitable we wouldn't be discussing closing it.

Personally I'm in favor of closing it - but it's up to Jim, the mods and participants like yourself.
                          Paul Calloway
                          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                          Proud Member of the GHTI
                          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Doesn't seem unreasonable for folks who are being asked to make financial contributions to ask to see the statements showing where the monies are being allocated...that's just common courtesy, not to mention basic common sense.

To expect donations in the absence of such pertinent information is a bit ridiculous, to tell you the truth.
                            Jeff Nichols
                            Valley Light Horse

Comment

Doesn't seem unreasonable for folks who are being asked to make financial contributions to ask to see the statements showing where the monies are being allocated...that's just common courtesy, not to mention basic common sense.

To expect donations in the absence of such pertinent information is a bit ridiculous, to tell you the truth.
                              Jeff Nichols
                              Valley Light Horse

Comment

I just checked my membership and only gives you options to select. I check paypal and I sent a payment to renew in Sept. Not sure if I am missing something, but I can't see the for sale section either.
                                Rob Bruno
                                1st MD Cav
                                http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
                                X