1858 forage cap pattern/info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 forage cap pattern/info needed.

Wondering if anyone can help or advise me on a project I'd like to try. I've been thinking about making an 1858 forage cap. Problem I'm having is locating any type of pattern. I've read that there is a pattern in the US Pattern Book 1861 -1865. I've also started collecting images of orignals. Unfortunately i'm unlikely to be able to view an original cap first hand as I'm located in the UK.
    I'm still having some trouble locating information to some extent although some details are coming to light. Has anyone tried the pattern in the US Pattern book? Is it a good starting point to add your own research to?
    Any advice, assistance, information or sources will be most welcome and appreciated.

I've tried the search on here and only found one thread, which unfortunatley wasnt of much use.
    Alistair Wilson
    Liberty Volunteers (UK)

Re: 1858 forage cap pattern/info needed.

Can't help you with a pattern. but just want to mention that "Tøjhusmuseet" in Copenhagen have a complete infantry and cavalry kit(-weapons) that was exchanged between the danish and US army in 1858.

Not sure you would be able to get that good a look with it behind glass, but if you happen to go to Copenhagen make sure to go by the museum.

More pictures of the collection:

Unfortunately I only took one other picture of the cap.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-16-2013, 10:44 PM. Reason: mistake in link
    Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Thanks Thomas, very interesting pictures. If i'm ever in copenhagen I'll be sure to visit the museum.
      Alistair Wilson
      Liberty Volunteers (UK)

Comment

Alistair, the actual pattern in the US Pattern Book is not a really good place to start. The basic description is not bad, and you would do well to follow the guide to assembly, but I found the pattern itself to be quite off. The only patterns I have seen for sale are just for kepis and they are crap. I have handled a couple of originals, they are made of quite light stuff, with very thin leather lining. Most repros are entirely too heavy. You can roll a piece of threaded rod onto some thin bookbinding leather to replicate the cross-hatched finish on the sweat band. In England you might be able to get some Silesia for lining - it is hard to get here. The stiffening in ones I looked at looked like modern burlap, easy to get. You will find variation in shape and dimension and construction too. If you PM me with your address I'd be happy to mail you a copy of my pattern (If I can find it) but I can assure you you will need more than one try to make one you are happy with. Remind me after Christmas, in case I forget!
        David Stone

Comment

You'll probably have to sign in to look at anything, but this auction site has lots of good photos, ones with great detail, make sure you search for "completed items". http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.z...2forage+cap%22 Good images if you want to replicate the makers label too. Next best thing to handling an original.
          David Stone

Comment

Thanks David that would be fantastic, pm on its way to you. And thanks for the link, some really excellent images there. The project is slowly coming together. Need to begin sourcing materials I think.
            Alistair Wilson
            Liberty Volunteers (UK)

Comment

Hallo!

By and large, many makers use "blouse" or coat weight wool. Originals were made of "forage cap, or facing cloth" woolens. It is fairly thin and light weight, but it is so tightly woven that it is hard to impossible to see the weave with the unaided eye.

Finding woolen material of the correct weight AND tight weave can be hard, unless one has it specially woven at a mill. Once Upon A Time several of us were lucky enough to "get some" from a maker who had the Big Bucks to have an entire bolt (a "minimum order" that) and was wiling to part with two yards.

Same thing for the "sheepskin morocco" ("goatskin morocco" in the specs) leather for the sweatbands.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt, in my cheap and lazy methods I haunt thrift stores and sometimes find an old skirt or blazer made out of useable fabric. Yea, very thin calfskin has to stand in for goatskin morocco on my part. And now that our local basketry shop has closed I have trouble finding the rattan for the piping...
                David Stone

Comment

I usually can find the proper reeds for the welt at Michael's Crafts store chain here in the US.
                  Paul McKee

Comment

I found a source of goatskin leather but I suspect it will be far to heavy for this project its about 3oz i think. The same place has a few other lighter options which might do the job though.
                    I found a source of wool but again I think its a bit heavy at approx 12 - 13 oz. I'll keep looking though, something suitable will turn up sooner or later.

Thanks for everyones help and advise so far, really appreciate it. The project is beginning to take shape nicely.
                    Alistair Wilson
                    Liberty Volunteers (UK)

Comment

Working...
                    X