Barber and Greenwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barber and Greenwood

I decided to start making up some spread sheets based off of the invoices and Forms that I have found on Fold3.com. I have used the books Goods, Dealers and Makers. Ken Knopp's book on makers of Confederate Saddles and Horse equipment and other various sources for my starting points. If on some of the documents you will read where it says Recd. and then no name its because Chicken scratch writing was very common so I have left them blank. For the most part I have listed the items in order by date. I figure this as a way to give back to the forum from all the knowledge I have gleaned from it. If I list something that has already been done by Will McDonald mods feel free to remove it. Thanks

Barber And Greenwood

12-Sep-61 625 Knapsacks @ $2.75
    12-Sep-61 Recd. Cpt. Smith Stansbury Richmond Arsenal

1-Oct-61 925 Knapsacks @ $2.85
    28-Oct-61 Recd. Cpt. Smith Stansbury Richmond Arsenal

12-Dec-61 1329 Knapsacks @ $2.85
    " 500 Sets Accouterments @ $4
    31-Dec-61 Recd. Augusta Arsenal

10-Mar-62 1300 Sets accouterments @$4
    " 200 Knapsacks @ $2.85
    24-Apr-62 Recd. John Ansley MSK Augusta Arsenal

14-Aug-62 49 Cavalry Saddles Complete @$35 ea.
    " 1200 White Duck Knapsacks @ $1.50 ea.
    " Recd. Maj. M.H. Wright Commanding Atlanta Arsenal

10-Oct-62 31 Cavalry Saddles Complete @ $35
    " 31 Bridles as a set
    " 400 Knapsacks @ $1.50
    " Recd. Maj. M.H. Wright Cmd. Atlanta Arsenal

28-Oct-62 969 Knapsacks @1.50 ea.

14-Aug-62 49 Cavalry Saddles Complete @$35 ea.
    " 1200 White Duck Knapsacks @ $1.50 ea.

Mike Brase
    One of THEM
    Mike Brase
    Proprietor
    M.B. Young and Co.
    One of THEM!
    Member Company of Military Historians

Re: Barber and Greenwood

I am assuming the varying prices for knapsacks indicates a different type knapsack on each contract? Or is it possible some contractors got better prices for better quality?

Thanks Mike!
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,
      In what I have gleaned from how the contract was written the enameled ones were more expensive at $2.85 with the White cotton Duck ones being the cheaper of the two. Where I really wonder is with makers who are delivering knapsacks on the same invoice with two separate prices for enameled knapsacks.
      Mike Brase
      Mike Brase
      Proprietor
      M.B. Young and Co.
      One of THEM!

Comment

I have always thought that various accoutrement makers, especially in the early part of the war made different grades of goods to sell to different companies and or government contracts. Take Magee and Kneass of New Orleans, I have found contracts for knapsacks priced at $1.65, $2.25. $2.35, $2.48, & $3.15. Say one company wants a hardpack and another a softpack. Or even ultra cheap unpainted ones for companies from poorer regions....

I have heard that they had imported French style knapsacks in late 1860 and 1861 and sold those as well, but I don't have confirmation on that. They were selling Knapsacks with tins but it doesn't mention if those were imported or not.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Consider the currency fluctuation of CS money and inflation as the war progressed.
          David H. Thomas
          Starr's NC Battery
          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Could be, but some knapsacks of different prices are on the same invoice, so they must be different in some way, and the fact that most of these come from within a few weeks of each other in 1861 leads me to believe that currency fluctuation isn't too heavily involved.....

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will,
              I have noticed the same thing in the Magee and George invoices as well. 2 different prices on the same invoice. I also noticed that they list Knapsacks + Straps on many of the invoices as well which leads me to believe they were talking about the M1825 knapsacks or a pack similar to that with a separate strap harness from the pack. Also if you are ordering hides for straps from a different tannery at two different prices as a maker your not going to eat the difference. You would pass it on to the customer. I do agree with some of the price fluctuation being attributed to different knapsacks going to different units.
              Mike Brase
              Proprietor
              M.B. Young and Co.
              One of THEM!

Comment

Working...
              X