Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Forum Under New Management

Greetings Everyone:

Effective today, Jim Kindred has resigned as the Provost of the Authentic Campaigner. Jim has been here since the beginning of the AC and has spent countless thousands of hours on the site. If not for Jim stepping up to take on the site, it is very possible, that it was going to be shut down. Please take the chance here to thank Jim for his dedication and time in helping to keep the AC alive.

Jim and Paul Calloway and I have been in discussions for a few weeks about having me take over the operation of the site to transition Paul out of the ownership since he no longer desires to be involved with the daily operations. Paul has agreed to help me with the transition. We have no hard-and-fast plans for the transition as Paul and I have worked together very closely in the past. Our mutual goal right now is to head in the direction of improvement.

As many of you know, I was an administrator here from 2005 - 2010. I am very familiar with the forum software and the overall operation of the site. I am a member of Mess No. 1 out of Cincinnati, Ohio. Our group has been participating in and organizing events for over ten years. Here is our web site:

http://mess1.homestead.com/

So, what does this mean for the future of the AC? It means that we need to maintain the high standards that have been set before us. It means that we have formed a committee which is this very moment looking at the upcoming event calendar so that you can come here to see what is on the horizon in the hobby. It means that the standards here will not change. If the Authentic Campaigner does not abide by it's own standards, it ceases to serve it's purpose in the hobby.

So, tell your messmates, your pards, your friends and your neighbors that we are here to stay and we are here to grow. US Grant is a personal hero of mine and he had a superstition that I have always liked. When traveling, if he became lost along the way, he would always try to find his way again by moving forward. He felt that if he went in reverse, it would be bad luck. So, tonight, we move forward.

Thank you everyone. Now, let's go!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: AC Forum Under New Management

Operating forums is generally a thankless task, with countless hours of unseen tinkering in the machinery. The same thing applies to event organizing.

Our thanks to all who make such things happen--because they do, countless folks get to play, to learn something, to remember those fallen, and to preserve that memory for the future..

Onward.........
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thank you Jim for your work ! And you Eric for taking up the task!
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jim, thank you very much for all that you have done for the AC community; you have kept a great think going! Eric, thanks for stepping up and taking on the task again. You made a tremendous impact as administrator in the past and I look forward to what the future will bring for the AC.

Very respectfully
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that has worked behind the scenes here and those that continue to do so. I know I have learned a ton from all the great information on here. The historic weapons program here at the park has also benefitted a great deal from this site. Thanks and keep up the good work in this often thankless job!
          Jake Koch
          The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
          https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
          -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
          -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Thanks for your years of service Jim and thanks to you Eric for stepping up.
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

"Le roi est mort, vive la roi!" LOL :wink_smil

Congratulations, Eric! Here to support!

Big thanks to you, Jim!
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Jim,

Thank you for all of the tireless work that you did behind the scenes to keep things running.

Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Best of luck!
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Jim, thanks for your efforts. Eric, all the best to you and here to support.

Dennis W. Duerbeck
                    Dennis W. Duerbeck

Comment

Sir, I would offer thanks for your efforts with The Authentic-Campaigner and keeping the course steady.., I also look forward with our new leadership and the unceasing study, "Man, Method, Material". Good luck.
                      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Eric--

As I digital marketer, I would offer you this: The online media landscape has made a giant shift towards social media since the advent of this site and forum back in the late 90s. Perhaps this transition is a time for a re-einvention and re-consideration of the AC's place / mission in the current and near future landscape. We are all aware that lots of the discussion that used to take place here has migrated to numerous Facebook pages. What can this forum/format deliver that isn't possible on the social media pages? What's your unique positioning? I think the AC needs to be re-invented to be relevant again.

Question m- why the font / font size change? I found the previous easier to read. Not a fan of Serif fonts!

My 2¢ And best of luck in the future.
                        Mike Ventura
                        Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Jim,
                          We did not always agree but I never, ever doubted your knowledge, sincerity, dedication to the AC and, as I have come to learn, your great efforts in stepping into fill a great and timely need here when it was so important. Thank you for your hard work and skills. And, thank you for providing what will prove to be a very important bridge to the future. You are a good man. God Bless and God's speed....

Eric, I believe you are just the right man at the right time for the job. It is your moment and you will certainly have my support.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Mike, Eric and I were discussing this last night. What does the AC offer that newer social media sites offer? Stability. Trying to go through FB event pages or groups for a specific topic like one can do here with the search function is almost impossible to do in a quick manner. This site is solid, and you can get access to the event info, historical discussion, for sale item quicker than scrolling scrolling scrolling down on FB.

Plus you can link a topic from the AC onto FB now. So, in a way, the AC is evolving.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Herb - I agree 100% with what you state as the Plusses for the AC. The "conversation" has migrated to Facebook, so maybe less focus on conversation and more on what you've identified as the USPs (Unique Selling Propositions). Maybe bring some of the old knowledge of a decade ago ton the forefront. Maybe a redesign of the categories to make that info more accessible and top of mind. Maybe featured articles by major contributors, or publication (with permission) of the seminal work by folks like Les Jensen, etc. Maybe reviews of new CW books. Maybe a "links" section with easy to find links to other online sites.

Don't get caught in the trap of convincing yourself that everything remains as it was (See: Microsoft or Dell). Re-arrange and remarker! Put the stuff you do best up-front and tout it!
                              Mike Ventura
                              Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
                              X