Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine's Day During War?

Greetings!

With Valentine's Day coming on Friday, it made me wonder how prevalent the celebration was during the Civil War. It is not a topic I have studied much before. So, lo-and-behold, I did a Google Search and came up with this image from Harper's Weekly.

Here is the link: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...ntines-day.htm

Here is another site: http://www.jocelyngreen.com/2013/02/...e-letter-ever/

Since this is The Sinks, let's see what other references we can find to Valentine's Day for other time periods. Any letters from the doughboys during WWI? "Dear John" letters from WWII?

So, let's honor Valentine's Day like only we know how. What references can you find to St. Valentine's Day during war? If your significant other is also a historian, maybe this will help you find the perfect Valentine.... and don't forget to to honor the one you love.... or face serious repercussions. ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Valentines-Day-1500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	230948Click image for larger version

Name:	Valentine'sDay2.jpg
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	230949
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Valentine's Day During War?

With respect sir I have a wife and FOUR daughters which translates into plenty of V-Day drama. These are the kinds of Valentines I like hearing about :)

"Exchanging Iron Valentines" at Ft. Donelson!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cumpston1862; 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

From the web site "Brooklyn in Love and At War". Some WWII letters. Here is a preview:

Darling-

Decided to make up for not writing you everyday as I had intended. In one of those 4 letters rec’d this afternoon, you sent me Valentine’s Greetings. It made me feel good to see you thought of it. You might have received my Valentine’s card by now! Like it? Sorry the record didn’t (couldn’t) go out, but when you come home, we’ll both make a few for each other to keep during the next inevitable separation. This letter was interrupted by some friends who came by for a short while this evening. They’re swell guys- he’s a sailor (Yeoman) and expects to be shipped out in a few months. He’s been here in NY for about two years and she realizes she’s lucky, but is getting sick at the thought of his leaving. Besides discussing Wallace, Trotskyism, Rankin, etc. we discussed one of our friends whose husband is a defense worker- anyway, the poor gal is sex-starved! Imagine that!!!! That’s something that can’t happen to us when you get back home! Baby, remember those showers we took in mom’s house last August? Sweetheart, I’m crazy about you! Hurry home, but don’t have any affairs while you’re hurrying! Because if it’s good enough for you, it’s good for me!

All my love,

Sylvia

https://bkinloveandwar.wordpress.com/tag/wwii/
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

A "Dear John" letter to Ernest Hemingway, sent from a nurse he met in WWI while recuperating from shrapnel wounds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/10561536/Ernest-Hemingway-and-the-Dear-John-letter-from-his-First-World-War-love.html
        Agnes von Kurowsky to Ernest Hemingway
        Milan hospital
        March 7, 1919

Ernie, dear boy,

I am writing this late at night after a long think by myself, & I am afraid it is going to hurt you, but, I’m sure it won’t harm you permanently.

For quite a while before you left, I was trying to convince myself it was a real love-affair, because, we always seemed to disagree, & then arguments always wore me out so that I finally gave in to keep you from doing something desperate. Now, after a couple of months away from you, I know that I am still very fond of you, but, it is more as a mother than as a sweetheart. It’s alright to say I’m a Kid, but, I’m not, & I’m getting less & less so every day.

So, Kid (still Kid to me, & always will be) can you forgive me some day for unwittingly deceiving you? You know I’m not really bad, & don’t mean to do wrong, & now I realise it was my fault in the beginning that you cared for me, & regret it from the bottom of my heart. But, I am now & always will be too old, & that’s the truth, & I can’t get away from the fact that you’re just a boy – a kid.
        I tried hard to make you understand a bit of what I was thinking on that trip from Padua to Milan, but, you acted like a spoiled child, & I couldn’t keep on hurting you. Now, I only have the courage because I'm far away.

Then – & believe me when I say this is sudden for me, too – I expect to be married soon. And I hope & pray that after you thought things out, you’ll be able to forgive me & start a wonderful career & show what a man you really are.

Ever admiringly & fondly,

Your friend,
        Aggie
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Along those lines...I thought this was a cool link.

Ken Cornett
          MESS NO.1
          Founding Member
          OHIO
          Mason Lodge #678, PM
          Need Rules?

Comment

P.S.- Though I know many a medico, this is not a hint to anyone in particular. Don't anyone go getting the "wrong idea". :wink_smil
            -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

From Ken's link:

MY LOVE

'Mid bugle's blast and cannon's roar,
              And 'mid the battles angry flame;
              'Mid clashing sabres red with gore,
              I fondly breathe they much-loved name.
              I feel thee near at dead of night,
              When I my vigil lone am keeping--
              Thy image guards me, angel bright,
              In dreams when wearied I am sleeping,
              Each northward wind wafts on its breath,
              To thee a yearning kiss of mine--
              On glory's field or bed of death,
              I live or die thy Valentine.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about - love and cannon's roar and gore - all within the same sentiment.
              ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

Bookstore advertisement, Macomb Weekly Journal, February 5, 1864.

" Valentines. – Clarke’s Bookstore is just in receipt of a large lot of comic and sentimental valentines. We would advise all ye “Young America” of this city to go early and make a good selection, for nothing takes so well with the young ladies as to receive a nice valentine from a nice young man."
                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Here are a few:

Name:	valcard3.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	224104Click image for larger version

Name:	valcard2.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	224105Click image for larger version

Name:	valcard1.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	224106

*Please disregard the attached two images...i put them up accidentally and can't take them down
                  Attached Files
                  Your Humble Servant,
                  Sean R. Otis
                  124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
                  MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
                  Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
                  at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

What Civil War Valentine's Day would be complete without the letter from Sullivan Ballou to his Wife?

The Civil War Love Letter

Major Sullivan Ballou of the Union Army wrote this letter home to his wife Sarah in Smithfield, Rhode Island. It is considered to be one of history's most beautiful and moving love letters.

July 14, 1861
                    Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah,

The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days -- perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye
                    when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure -- and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine 0 God, be done. If it is necessary that I
                    should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how
                    strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution.
                    And I am willing -- perfectly willing -- to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows -- when, after having eaten for long years the bitter
                    fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children -- is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze,
                    that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country?

I cannot describe to you my feelings on this calm summer night, when two thousand men are sleeping around me, many of them enjoying the last, perhaps, before that of death -- and I,
                    suspicious that Death is creeping behind me with his fatal dart, am communing with God, my country, and thee.

I have sought most closely and diligently, and often in my breast, for a wrong motive in thus hazarding the happiness of those I loved and I could not find one. A pure love of my country and of
                    the principles have often advocated before the people and "the name of honor that I love more than I fear death" have called upon me, and I have obeyed.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and
                    bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give
                    them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I
                    know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me -- perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar -- that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If
                    I do not return, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have oftentimes been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your
                    happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet
                    the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest
                    scenes and gloomiest hours -- always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or if the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue-eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him
                    among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters.

Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.

Sullivan

Sullivan Ballou, age 32, was killed on the battlefield in the 1st Battle of Bull Run seven days after writing this letter.
                    ERIC TIPTON
                    Former AC Owner

Comment

There is an excellent book called "Behind the Lines" authored and compiled by Andrew Carroll that has letters from soldiers to their loved ones at home from the Civil War thru today. It's a great book.
                      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

It will be another 25 years or so before the sentiments on the backs of these sort of printed cards begin to fill a researcher's book. Right now many are still tucked in envelopes, tied with ribbon, in boxes, in the top of the closet.........remembered surely. In our hearts, Time does not dim faces always young.

Vietnam War.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	224107
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Valentine's Day - during the Civil War and now - is a result of state control of the media, the California Gold Rush and companies like Wells Fargo and American Express.

Read on.

When B. Franklin talked about neither rain, sleet or dark of night staying these faithful couriers from their appointed rounds he was talking about the mail, but he wasn't talking about letters. He was talking about newspapers. Newspapers were very inexpensive to send throught the mail, while a personal letter cost a day's wage for a working class man. One of the jobs of a postmaster was to check newspapers for hidden notes written in the margins. This automatically elevated the newspaper to a letter rate, which was something like twenty times more.

The strongest argument I can see for this practice is that it allowed political parties to influence the thinking and voting of people in their districts. As we kmow, newspapers at the time made no claim to being journalistically unbiased. Restricting private communication would also help to keep peoople thinking in a "channeled" way that would benefit local power bases. Maybe there were different reasons.

These postage rates started to be challenged by private express companies, Adams, American, etc. who would deliver a private letter for less money than the post office. The fact that the first Federal postal rate slash came in 1849 is significant. The sudden boom in California caused an instant demand for personal correspondence on a vast new scale. It was clear to the U.S. Post Office that it would lose all its revenues from personal mail to the private companies, so it cut those rates hugely to an affordable competitve price.

This meant that suddenly anyone could mail a letter, and a big unforseen result was a craze for valentines. Sending a home made valentine by mail was novel and anonymous. People were mailing valentines to members of their families, who lived in the same house. Soon the number of valentines mailed each February was over two million.

Printers soon started manufacturing valentines, eventually churning out thousands and thousands of different versions. There were valentines meant for teamsters, fiddle players, store clerks, abolitionists, spinsters, dandies, you name it. Almost all of them followed the format of a caricature with a four line poem under it. Here's a fascinating collection of 652 valentines: http://lcpdams.librarycompany.org:88...ection_id=1108 All but two of them that I could see follow this picture/poem style. Titles like 'Vain Old Fool', 'Quack Doctor, Bleeder', 'Queen Of The Ugly Club', 'A Snob', 'Thin Legs' show how mean these mass produced valentines could be. It's a pretty rare peak behind closed doors of mid 19th century American life.

Did the printers follow the trend or start it? My guess is that huge numbers of people took advantage of this important new social power by...hurling anonymous insults at each other, of course. It was sort of like internet 'flaming' today, and the valentine printers were happy to help for a penny or two apiece.

I had no idea about any of this. I learned it from a great book called 'The Postal Age' by David M. Henkin http://www.amazon.com/The-Postal-Age.../dp/0226327213

My intuition is that by the Civil War, Valentine's Day had taken the anonymous aspect to a place where it resembled modern Halloween; youthful exuberance often mixed with alcohol, acted out in groups that were hidden by darkness. Here's part of the entry for Valentine's Day, 1864 in the diary of William Ray, from the book 'Four Years With The Iron Brigade':
                          February 14, 1864
                          This is, as evrybody knows, Valentine's Day. There is a goodly number Boys got in & ther is a guard placed around camp with orders to let no one go out without a pass signed by Lieut Col. But there was many got out for all that: & some committed depredations on the citizens such as tearing paling off the fence & breaking gates down & breaking windows & c. & at night there was a patrol went through the principal streets & got a number of drunken rowdies & they too had molested citizens..."

The context in this entry seems to suggest pretty strongly that at the time this was standard, expected behavior on this holiday. I could be wrong.

I think it's safe to say though that Valentine's Day was once about more than confessions of love. At one point in our history it became a chance for anonymous nastiness. This aspect is all but unknown by now. The holiday may have started becoming a sweeter one once the mail started including return addresses.
                          Last edited by Horace; 02-22-2014, 05:14 PM.
                          [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                          [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
                          Independent Volunteers
                          [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Working...
                          X