Poison Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison Ivy

One of my friends at school recently got poison ivy very very badly and made me wonder if anyone has read any accounts of soldiers having poison ivy, sumac, or oak. I know that I am very sensitive to it and get it from head to toe when exposed to it. I cant imagine how awful it would feel to be in uniform and on the march with a very bad case of poison. Would these soldiers probably be put in a hospital for a while or would something else be done? It is almost certain that the soldiers would have gotten it as they spent so much time outdoors and in the woods.
    Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
    John Brizzay Mess
    SkillyGalee Mess
    http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Re: Poison Ivy

The book The Virginia Housewife, 1868 suggests a vinegar and (baking?)soda plaster. Apply the paste after the ''effervescence'' and wrap.

Jewelweed salve was common but I don't know of a peroid reference for it... or if the stalk, flower or both were used.
    Jewelweed is a common eastern woodland flower.

No clue for a field adaptation of either of these though.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-25-2004, 08:34 PM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The soldiers were largely country boys, so they probably knew to avoid it whenever possible. But between poison ivy, greybacks,chiggers, etc., they were probably always scratching at something.

Doug Price

Comment

I have wondered the same thing. I am terribly allergic to the stuff and usually end up with an outbreak somewhere on me after every event it seems.

I don't know about a period remedy that could be carried but I opt for some of the stuff that you can buy now that acts either as a barrier to the sap or neutralizes it after contact. I carry it in a poke sack and usually walk a bit from camp to apply it so as not to be a modern intrusion.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by BishopLynch
          One of my friends at school recently got poison ivy very very badly and made me wonder if anyone has read any accounts of soldiers having poison ivy, sumac, or oak. I know that I am very sensitive to it and get it from head to toe when exposed to it. I cant imagine how awful it would feel to be in uniform and on the march with a very bad case of poison. Would these soldiers probably be put in a hospital for a while or would something else be done? It is almost certain that the soldiers would have gotten it as they spent so much time outdoors and in the woods.
          The only time I ever had poison ivy, I washed it thoroughly and promptly with Kirk's hardwater Castile soap, and the itching left within 12 hours. I swear by this. I believe that this formulation of soap was around during the war, though possibly under a different name. For what it's worth....

Joel Kelley
          Joel Kelley

Comment

I used to work in a green house and I can tell you the remedy. It is the gel from the stalk of jewelweed. It grows right next to poison ivy. Trust me pards, this stuff is gold. Cpl Dan Morgan, 10th VA (IVR)

Comment

I just did a follow up check at the Kirk's website, and castile soap was introduced in 1839 in Utica, NY. By 1859, the company had moved to Chicago, at which time its popularity boomed, so it is entirely conceivable that this product found its way into the packs of many an infantry private. Check it out at:

Joel Kelley
              Joel Kelley

Comment

The best thing I have found for poison ivy is good old fashioned lye soap, the stronger the better. It really does help! You also have to figure that this was the same thing that a soldier was carrying with him.

Rick Musselman
                Buckeye Mess
                GHTI
                [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
                Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
                President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
                Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

I've also heard that mugwort is also good for posion ivy/ poison oak. Since we have lot of poison oak out here in Ca., I'll give you an update on how it works after Oakley '04 next week! :D
                  Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                  Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                  Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                  Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                  Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
                  X