Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Sense of a Casualty List

Ladies & Gents-

I found this casualty list on-line for the 16th Connecticut Infantry.

You will note in the list of the wounded there is a "Lieut. Barnum, Company E ,(Bee Hive) slightly..." Is this some kind of period slang saying he was slightly wounded in the head? Or I am missing something here?
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Making Sense of a Casualty List

I figured Bee Hive went with the company designation, since sometimes companies carried over militia names or nicknames, and sure enough:

"In July 1862, [Barnum's] ardor made it impossible for him to remain longer at the case, and he became a worker in enlisting the Bee Hive Company of the Sixteenth Regiment"

I'm sure more searching about the regiment would show that Co. E was nicknamed Bee Hive.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

My compliments Mr. Trent...well done!

Going through the list again Lieut. Barnum seems to be the only casualty from Company E and all other companies are represented. Yet only Lt. Barnum has the Bee Hive designation by his name. Based on this and the link Mr. Trent provided it seems a safe bet, albeit more research is necessary, that Company E, 16th Connecticut Infantry was known as the Bee Hive Company.
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

In Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States During the War of the Rebellion there is no record of a Lt. Barnum serving in Company E, 16th CVI.
        Bill Backus

Comment

Working...
        X