Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking time needed for Lookout Mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking time needed for Lookout Mountain?

Pards,

My messmates and I are planning on touring battlefields before and after Pickett's Mill, and want to try and follow some of the "original cast" routes up Lookout Mountain. What experiences have you all had with this? Are there trails that are better than others? How much walking time is needed for the ascent. Were you able to perform the ascent with muskets?

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated! This is my first trip to this section of Civil War battles and I am excited to make the most of it!

Regards,

Dan Limb
    Dan Limb
    One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
    James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Re: Walking time needed for Lookout Mountain?

Which day are you considering, Dan? I did it ten years ago, but considering I did it as a group of twenty in the dark, without our guide, without a map and without a compass, I don't think I'd be able to give you a good idea about how long it should take four of you to climb. It will take you longer than you think and will wear you out more than you realize.

And then you need to get off Lookout.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Dan, if you want to start at the bottom, the Kiddie Trail on the western side of the mountain is a good place to start. The NPS map pdf file is what I've used for the two mobile living histories that I planned. http://www.nps.gov/chch/planyourvisi...efield-Map.pdf There is a small parking lot across from the trail head right before you round the road to the Chattanooga Nature Center. The route to Cravens is steep in places, especially at the beginning.

I'd give it 2.5 hours from bottom to Cravens House if you are in decent shape, this is enough time for you to go at a moderate pace, and allow for rest. The route that we took, and that the rangers suggested was Kiddie Trail to Skyuka Trail to Gum Springs Trail to Upper Truck Trail, to Rifle Pits Trail. The Rifle Pits Trail leads you to Cravens House.

I checked the NPS website, it looks like Bluff Trail is closed right now. But, if it is open when you are there, to get to the top from Cravens House, take Cravens House Trail to Bluff Trail, and then climb the metal stairs to Point Park. This should be about an 1.5 hours going at a moderate pace. The trail from Cravens to Point Park is not as challenging as from Kiddie Trail to Cravens.

Go back down is quicker, but grab a brochure or print the map from the pdf file so you don't get turned around. Also, check with the ranger for any other trail news.

I would also check with the rangers about carrying muskets up the mountain. Both times I did it, we had approval from the NPS staff.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Dan - Herb's directions are exactly what we took. Its the route of the 34th Mississippi the night before the battle. I was with Silas that moonless night and we camped at the rifle pits. Took us longer because it was dark as pitch. We finished up the next morning stopping for a bit at the Craven House then taking Herb's directions to the top. When you round the bend before you take the stairs up to Point Park you stand in front of the huge plaque hammered into the side of the Mountain to the 29th Pennsylvania, one of the coolest monuments anywhere. Made us a bitClick image for larger version

Name:	29th PVI Monument Lookout Mountain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	224235 humble - those boys climbed the mountain while being shot at.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Thanks Silas, Herb, and Doug. This really helps. My messmates are on a time crunch, and trying to maximize our free time before and after Pickett's Mill. We will most likely be hitting these sites at Chick and Chatt after the event, and before we fly home.

Doug - Did you have to get special permission to camp there overnight?

Other than the briefest of stops at Perryville, I have never toured this theater of battle. I am excited to see it all.

Dan Limb
          One of THEM!
          Dan Limb
          One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
          James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

Dan, it was part of a living history done on Lookout in November, 2003. Let's continue this conversation on the THEM f/b page.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
            X