• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystery Repro SM1861

Hallo!

And it even has the right hammer!

:) :)

Which raises the question of how easily it would be to "de-farb?" Meaning taking off and replacing the SFC logo stamps would be easy, but whether an original lock or lockplate would "fit' wopuld be the gamble.
    Paint drips and runs from someone too lazy to move it while painting should not be an issue.

:)

Curt

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

What's the story behind that exact musket? A friend's, or... ??

Would they want to sell? (wink!)
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
        Whoever made it did an awesome job!
        The wood to metal fit on this one and the other SFC Special Model of 1861 listed as sold on gunbroker are both substandard, even by Italian gun-maker standards. Look at how the barrel fits (or doesn't fit) around the bolster in the stock channel. It brought almost $700.

Yeah, I don't know...wasn't tempted. Where in the world would you get replacement parts? Where would you start looking for them? Agree the fat hammer is nice, but the SFC lockplate and dates on the barrel and lock behind the hammer are farby. It's unique, you have to give it that...
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

I have not followed SM1861 locks or lock parts since the 1990's when Dixie Gun Works had a few. Last one I seen, IIRC, was last year or the year before a minty one in a batch of locks that the Log Cabin Shop had for sale.

They do rarely, pop up amongst the CW parts dealers, N-SSA type, vendors.

I had two of the Colt Signature Series SM1861's, over the years, that I ended up not even using once. was going to remove the "signature" from the trigger guard bow...replace the bogus hammer with an original, and then see using the discarded hammer for the Italian bastardized Charleville/M1822 hybrid percussion alteration (aka M1816 percussion conversion).
          But sold that one off untouched when I found an N-SSA modified M1822 altered to a Belgian conversion (which I sold off too in a weak moment) and half regret it. (Half because it was still just a M1777 Charleville clone needing much work to fudge maybe half of it back...)

:)

If I could get a SM1861 used, at a decent price, or as part of a trade maybe.. I would half consider adding Project 1703 to my growing list of To Do's...

Curt
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I hear you, Craig! However, I've grown so desensitized to barely-discernible side-panels, that this one stands out. Add the fat hammer into the mix, and it gets a "beer goggle" rating of 8.5.
            ;-)
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Well it's not everyday you can come up with something legit (not a fantasy piece) in terms of a rifle-musket that nobody on this forum has ever seen, held in hand or knows very much about.

Yes, we all agree those Italian made "Colt" Special Model 1861s were pretty much a waste.

I have actually trimmed back my golf bag full of muskets which once was one for every occasion. It is pretty much down to just a 1842 and an Enfield, plus my son's Enfield...can't count that. And of course my "too original" US 1855 put together the battlefield park won't let me use. This is pretty low (historically) for my armory. But even as such, at the price it brought I would not recommend that particular Special Model repro of unknown origin. It needs a fair amount of work to remotely similar to a Colt. Why not just "put together" a Colt Special Model if that's what you want? They are hardly rare.

If I was going to do something like that, I'd do a garden variety US 1861 like Wickett's multi-year project.
              Last edited by Craig L Barry; 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM.
              Craig L Barry

Comment

Hallo!

"I'd do a garden variety US 1861 like Wickett's multi-year project."

It's my fault for giving him a good deal on the pieces parts to begin with back when he was looking to built it himself!

:) :) :)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Yeah, yeah…

First, there was "The Money Pit". Now, there's "The Musket that Time Forgot".

;-)
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger

Comment

The odd thing is, since US 1861 parts interchange (for the most part)...this one should have been a piece of cake compared to the earlier P53 Enfield you had done. It is getting close to taking as long. Anyway, knowing your high standards as I do, the US 1861 will be a beauty when it is ready.

This Wickett project stuff is all off-topic. You could write a book on it. As far as the Mystery musket, let me suggest we add this to the ever-growing list of things I know nothing about and move on.
                    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 04-30-2014, 08:48 AM.
                    Craig L Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                      ...this one should have been a piece of cake compared to the earlier P53 Enfield you had done. It is getting close to taking as long.
                      The Money Pit only took 18 months.
                      The 'smith that I'm using has had some health problems and a nasty winter to deal with. As much as I'm looking forward to having that '61, it is only a thing.

...but I'm still hoping to have it for Kennesaw!!
                      ;)
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                      X