Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Richmond Armory "Short Rifle"

Hallo!

I came across this on the N-SSA board, and thought I would share it here. For discussion and opinion.....

This is a "parts gun." However, the question is.. whose parts and when? Meaning:

1. It could be a post CW parts gun
    2. It could be a Civil War surplus parts gun such as "assembled' by Bannerman
    3. It could be a late War Richmond Armory parts gun.

IMHO, it could well be any of those three. But, at a maximum it is a Richmond. At a minimum, it has a Richmond Armory "cut down" barrel.

Part of Confederate armory duties was often the refurbishing and recycling of Federal arms gleaned from the battlefield and reissued, or damaged guns that were sent back and repaired or reworked before being reissued.
    One of the rarer "classes" of these arms are rebuilds. This one appears to be an M1861 stock and lock, with M1863 barrel, barrel bands, hammer, and earlier musket ramrod. But, the barrel has been reduced from the RM's 40 inch barrel to 36 to make a "Short Rifle." A number of these have survived but are not well known.

Why, if no more, a Richmond barrel.

"Richmonds" started out as Virginia assembled RM's made from Harpers Ferry parts. When the Confederacy took over and moved the HF equipment to Richmond, they assembled parts and phased in their own manufacturing on the HR RM machinery. NUG, Richmonds will carry the HF proof system of "V," "P," and "Eaglehead" initially just using the same HF stamps.
    However, Richmond also used a "third proof' in the form of a five point star on refurbishes.

It is my unproven theory, that the third proof or star indicated a "rebuild" extensive enough to require a new inspection. And in the case of RM's refurbished into "Short Rifles" (think of the so-called "Artillery Rifles" which are not technically rifles because they are just shortened thin RM barrels and not heavy true rifle barrels), when the barrels were sawed-off from 40 down to 36 they required a final inspection before going into service.
    That seems to hold true, as the rebuilt mixed part "Short Rifles" carry the star proof (and sometimes no "V. P. Eaglehead Federal or CS HF use stamps). But, there is a surviving parts gun that is an M1861 just with a 1862 dated Richmond lock carrying the addition of the star and inspector's letter stamp.

What say ye?

I learn more towards a later parts gun myself. The flash pitting and discoloration around the bolster does not extend to the lock plate implying or suggesting that the barrel is older than the lock plate.
    However that is not always a Hard and Fast rule as barrels are iron or mild steel and not necessarily as 'hard" as the case hardened surface of the lock plate. BUT, that hardening is very fragile and very shallow, so one often sees that area "corroded" as well.)

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Re: Possible Richmond Armory "Short Rifle"

Amalgamated parts gun.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Interesting gun. There are some dealers who share your theory on the STAR indicating a new inspection from the RA. Parts gun or not is it a sweet looking short rifle. Wish there was a better view showing the ram rod.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

Side Note: I will have to dig it out, but I am not recalling the star stamp being covered or mentioned by Paul Davies' "C.C. Armory Richmond." IIRC, Murphy and Madaus show some RA guns with it, but I do not recall them elaborating on it only as a third proof?

Curt
        Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I would be inclined to think its a parts gun. The pitting/ surface on the bolster and not on the lock plate. I looked in my Murphy/ Madaus book on Carbines. wish they would have elaborated more on the markings like they did for the modified Hall's. Wish I could go back in time to ransack one of the wagons that were picking up all the cast offs from the 7 Days Battles.
          Mike Brase
          Proprietor
          M.B. Young and Co.
          One of THEM!
          Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Most of the so-called Artillery rifles have 32"-33" barrels. I would think that a rebuilt rifle would not have had the the band spring recesses filled, as the intent was to get firearms to the troops as fast as possible.

My guess is that the rifle shown is a cadet gun, for one of the numerous military academies that were formed postwar.
            Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO... and heresies....

I believe that if and until some documentation comes to light that documents "short rifles" aka "artillery rifles" there are no Absolutes. May be not even likelihoods.

"Camps" are divided between an actual Civil War made and used "artillery rifle" (a rifle-musket shortened to 32 or 33 inch barrel) or, a post War "Bannerman" type surplus pieces parts assembled into a "cadet musket" class of arm for military schools.

While the 'star' stamp is NUG held to be a Richmond Armory "third inspection" apparently for recycled/refurbished arms, to my knowledge there are no records or work orders for Richmond Armory that takes about making a 36 inch barreled parts gun. (Richmond Short Rifles being a separate class or type of firearm.)

There are a number of parts guns that have 36 instead of 32 or 32 inch barrels. IMHO, they are attributed to Richmond Armory because of their barrels' star stamp. This is a glass half full, half empty kind of "logic." Meaning, it could mean that the parts were assembled and the gun inspected and so stamped. But it could also mean that the gun is a post War "Bannerman" parts gun and that the few surviving examples just happen to have nothing more than just a recycled Richmond barrel used in the parts mix.

When it comes down to which, I guess lads fall into yes and no camps. If I have one, and want to value it highly or sell it more highly it is yes. If I do not own one and am not buying one, I may see it as a Bannerman parts gun not worth elevated rarer "Richmond" prices.
              And then way the consequences. Did I pass, perhaps foolishly, on a true Richmond piece? Or did I just buy a Bannerman surplus parts gun?

Curt
              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Either way, it is still an interesting piece of mid-19th century material culture. It doesn't mean much, but my thoughts on it being a "parts gun" is the US 1861 lock plate thrown in with all the other US 1863 parts, including the barrel. If the weapon came in to be refurbished, as opposed to put together from disassociated parts, wouldn't the lock assembly be largely intact? Why would the lock plate be a US Armory dated 1861 (of which very few were made) and the rest (hammer, barrel, barrel bands) mostly US 1863 parts? It stands out compared to other likely Richmond Armory refurbished arms which suggests to me that it was assembled from a bin of US model rifle-musket parts into something like what may have been a CS Civil War rifle, probably post-bellum.

However, it is possible this bin of disassociated US model rifle musket parts was sitting in the Richmond Armory and this rifle was the result. I just wouldn't bet that way. One is looking for clues which suggest the most likely heritage. It takes a bit more imagination than I possess at the present time to connect the whole rifle with the CS Richmond Armory on the basis of the "star" on the barrel. Collectively, it doesn't shake out that way.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                X