Wicked Spring out on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked Spring out on DVD

This may be old news, so I apologize if it has already been covered. Last night I was at Barnes and Noble and just happened to wander by a copy of Wicked Spring on DVD. I've watched the first 15 minutes or so and think it is alright. Will post a review after watching it if people are interested. In any case, it is available.

-Tad
    Tad Salyards
    Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Re: Wicked Spring out on DVD

Let's just say there's a darn good reason this one went straight-to-video. If you haven't watched it all yet, my advice is to sell it on E-bay before finishing it.

Comment

Yep, think this was hashed up pretty good a while back. To reiterate, some of the acting is not great, and the story has holes in it, logically and dramatically.

What do you think, Tad?
      Fred Grogan
      Sykes' Regulars

Comment

If you're expecting something of the quality of Band of Brothers, you're going to be pretty disappointed. On the other hand if you go in knowing that the plot is only expansive enough to cover about 10 minutes and that they have stretched it to an hour and a half... you'll enjoy some of the uniform impressions.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I would wager that if Steven Spielberg & Tom Hanks were to join forces to produce a Civil War themed military drama, it would be of the caliber of "Band Of Brothers". Until then, we will have to enjoy whatever comes down the pike, be it good or bad. I for one would love to see that happen, but can't help but think that every midling attempt at CW drama offered up until then just serves to postpone a more "meaningful" attempt by the likes of Spielberg.

Wicked Spring, with all its plot flaws, is still a very watchable effort, IMO. It's not too esoteric- it does a good job of portraying the trials & tribulations of a CW soldier that a viewer not initiated with CW history could learn a great deal from. I think that makes it a valuable effort.

Dan Hadley
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Here is the link to the thread that discussed this film some. If you're interested:

With its simple plot, I think Wicked Spring would be a good movie for teaching purposes. I’d be hesitant to say at what grade level though.
            Matthew Rector

Comment

I found the film to be a bit lacking in content, as many of you did, but a nice attempt none-the-less. The costuming was top notch, but it is the story the matters above all.

That being said, I think Wicked Spring remains the best attempt to date at showing accurate Civil-War era combat. I think there was a little too much "stand up" fighting, as I tend to subscribe to the theory that Civil War soldiers were on all fours more often than not. I was also a bit dissapointed to see the presence of the greatly hated artillery "ground charge" exploding out of the ground. While this is fine for a WWI film, it simple needs to be abandoned for Civil War artillery.

-Tad
              Tad Salyards
              Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

I actually liked it.
                The fact that they didn't know who eachother were was a bit bewildering though. However in A Yankee Privates Civil War by Robert H. Strong, (A private in the 105th IL.) He mentions that they got into a skirmish with some confederates. Both side's uniforms were so dirty they couldn't tell eachother apart until they asked units. I can't get the excerpt because the book is not here with me, and I am on vacation. They probably would have asker units, therfore knowing who eachother were. I was a bit confused at times.
                I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                Hard Head Mess
                Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                X