Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1855 Musket Tool

Gents-

I have been browsing the search engine and have not found the answer to my question(s).

So here goes. I have a defarbed Armi-Sport 1861 Springfield Musket and I need a decent musket tool to service the old girl in the field. I purchased an original 1863 musket tool but the open ended wrench is too narrow for my nipple cone. Not by much but just enough to make it non-usable unless I modify it...which I am hesitant to do being that it is an original. Even if I were to file it out a bit the two screw drivers are too big to fit most of the repro slot screws. I purchased a repro musket wrench from a sutler and it fit all the screws and so on but it also bent with minimal effort.

So here is my question. Who makes a decent historically accurate and functional 1855 musket tool that won't bend if you look at it the wrong way???

Thanks.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Model 1855 Musket Tool

Nick S***la in New Jersey is your best bet. His 1855 musket tool is made to actually be a tool.
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Comment

Scott-

Thank you very much for the reply.

I ordered one from him and he returned my money the same day saying he didn't have any in stock. :(
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I would say get an original M1855 tool, the extra screwdriver blade is smaller and works well. I have one of the NJ Nick tools and had to take a file to the inside of the wrench and one of the blades to make it thinner, but it wasn't much, a 1/32" at the most on both places. I also have an original close ended musket tool for my M1842 and had to file down one of the blades a tad.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Hallo!

Most times, an original combination has to be modified to fit the unusually narrow screw slots the Italians use. (I have ground a set of modern screwdrivers down just for Italian guns.)

IMHO, rather than damage an original tool, use a hacksaw or flat jeweler's file to widen the Italian screw slots to the width they should be.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I shaved down a fairly cheap 1855 musket tool and rehardened the tips so they now work with most screws. Never had a problem with the cones not fitting. Simple process.
            Mike McGee
            Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
            Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
            Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
            Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
            KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
            Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Gents-

Thanks for all the recommendations and information. Seems to be many solutions to the problem just a matter of which one match my skills.

Thanks!
              Louis Zenti

Comment

Have you thought about widening the screws slots? I think Frank's idea of just hardening a repro would be the best bet. Plus if you loose a repro who cares?
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                X