A modern day hike of Hardee's route in the Battle of Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A modern day hike of Hardee's route in the Battle of Atlanta

This terrific article in the Bitter Southerner traces Hardee's route in today's Atlanta from inside Atlanta's defense line to his clash with McPherson's forces in the Battle of Atlanta. This shows, with graphic examples, how Atlanta and Georgia have neglected this history.

Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: A modern day hike of Hardee's route in the Battle of Atlanta

Wow Mike, that is an outstanding article!
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I read this article in its entirety anticipating an interesting historical perspective of Hardee’s march, but instead found more commentary about social and economic problems of today’s Atlanta suburbs that encompass the Confederate route than comments about the experience of Hardee’s soldiers. If the point was to show that Atlanta has neglected this event of its history, it was amply accomplished but could have been done with much less narrative. Greater discussion about the mission and less focus on today’s socioeconomic problems would have been appreciated more by this reader.

Tom Williams
      4th Virginia Infantry
      Indianapolis
      Tom Williams

Comment

Tom,

Your words described my feelings about the article as well. I was quite excited to read it, but felt quite a bit disappointed at the conclusion.
        Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III

Comment

And yet, the modern commentary tells the story. It takes an economically strong society to produce the leisure time and monetary resources to preserve its history. The investment that poured into Atlanta in the mid 20th century came from those seeking a quick return. That investment included an imported populace--finding an adult who is native born to Cobb, Gwinnett and the related core counties can be done, but they are greatly outnumbered by those who migrated there That investment was equally quick to abandon the city when the bubble burst.

One of the most telling and poignant 'campfire' accounts I've heard over the years was related by a group of men who retraced a unit involved in a major movement in this battle. Their march in the 1990's took them through many of the areas noted in this article, and also included the Sweet Auburn District . They felt much of the same trepidation described by this author--but found instead local residents who were equally unhappy with what outside investment had done to destroy those local businesses and local jobs that once were the strong backbone of the city.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I hope after walking through what he describes, he has cast his last vote for John Lewis.

Interesting article, yet sad at the same time.
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Galen, this isn't necessarily ground breaking news. The area has been like this for decades. Mrs. Lawson has touched upon it with her comment. The article really brings nothing to a historical discussion except that it is still hot in he ATL during the summer time. Now, as for a social commentary, that can be discussed elsewhere rather than the Authentic Campaigner. You can check my FB post for my opinion. :)
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Working...
              X