Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtack Zilla

Gents-

I did a search on these bad boys but the thread escaped me or the question has been left undone.

Hardtack came in different sizes. I think we pretty much all agree on that. But have we determined the who, what and when?

I have included a couple of pictures...of soldiers holding a larger than 3" x 3" piece of hardtack. I would venture this is one of those mystery 6" x 6" guys but what else do we know?

Was this an early war, mid war or late war issue?

Was it primarily seen in the east or west?

Do we know who made these big Hardtack Zilla crackers?

And lastly does any sutler make a hardtack form bigger than 3" x 3" for sale now days so we can reproduce some of these??
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Hardtack Zilla

Louis-

The old University of Northern Iowa museum (now defunct- thanks, budget cuts!) had one of these monsters. Their provenance indicated it was issued at Fort Scott. I once asked the director if she could check their records and get me the name and/or unit of the guy who brought it home, but I never heard back. Apparently he was impressed enough to bring it home and save it!
    Arch Campbell
    Hairy Nation
    Loyal Union League
    Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

This might be what you're looking for:

Enjoy!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Arch and John thanks for the replies.

Arch- Do you know what became of the UNI example?

John- I did find and read that thread in my initial search. It seemed as if there was going to be more research coming based on that conversation and that was why I was wondering if I missed something.
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I went to the American History Smithsonian yesterday and they had a large cracker on display in the Civil War section. I am not sure on the dimensions of it but it was much larger than the typical 3x3-possibly 6x6?
          Sam Frisco 26th NC Carolina Legion
          “Stand up you cowards, they couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.” John Sedgwick’s last words.

Comment

Working...
          X