Sewing machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing machines

At one time there were several discussions concerning the use of sewing machines and I think everyone agrees and understands their limited usage. At one time this picture was posted (I know because I made and kept a copy) reposting it last year with additional information. I can find the picture on line but I cannot not find the original link that was posted here; the difference at this moment is the whole world to me. Here is the current link http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/s...earchterm/wear, it says "Portrait of an unidentified group of men standing in front of a sewing machine store. Some men wear Confederate uniforms. The tintype is set in a decorative gold frame".

There-in is my problem, I desperately need the information concerning the original link and I hoped one of you could help me. It went something like this: Here in (the town of XXXXXX) stands a group of Confederate soldiers it is early in the war when due to limited weapons they have yet to be armed. I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewing Machine.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	231197

Thank you,
    Gary Adams

Re: Sewing machines

While not a link to the original post, the website of the Williamson Grays (http://www.williamsongrays.com/unifo..._tennessee.htm) identifies the man in the center in the light coat as Marcus Toney of the 1st Tennessee, and the photo as a group of soldiers "upon their release from Elmira Prison in 1865." Their site further states: This photograph is often mistaken for early war volunteers but if you look closely at the photograph you can see their clothing is mismatched and has been worn out from service. Toney says in his book:

..were at the depot when an enterprising photographer set up his camera and said, 'Boys, you should take a picture to take home show the folks what you looked like the day you got out of prison. I will only charge you a quarter.' I told him to fire way. I was the only one of the 28 that had a quarter, so I took the center of the group. I was clad in a light hat and linen duster.

Perhaps they have additional info about it.
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Comment

Toney's book, including this picture on page 119, is available online here https://archive.org/stream/privation...e/118/mode/2up
      Eric Paape
      Because the world needs
      one more aging reenactor

Comment

Thanks. Usually the truth would be sufficient as the post I searching for was as you stated "This photograph is often mistaken for early war volunteers": and I was unaware of the actually history behind the photo. Therein I am not only impressed but thankful. However, I still need to find that particular clip, the article was and is the issue. I still say since I am not asking for money or for us to sleep together, I am overwhelmed by the assistance.
        Gary Adams

Comment

Sir, Roundshot started a thread with this image titled,
          "Confederate group image". Advanced search will turn it up.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Thanks again some one wrote last night saying the post I am looking for is in a sewing machine description. I wrote back hoping they could tell me which one but have not heard back.
            Gary Adams

Comment

In this forums advanced search box, type "sewing machines". Link will open a page..,5th thread down started by Roundshot, "Confederate group image", this image will be found in this thread. I hope this helps..:thumbs_up
              Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
              Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
              Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
              www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
              X