Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I replace a loading lever retainer on a Pietta 1858 Remington?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I replace a loading lever retainer on a Pietta 1858 Remington?

I don't know where to ask this question so I'll try here.

I purchased a Pietta 1858 Remington pistol from a retired guy for $50. He had used it for fast draw competition and the reason it was so cheap is that he had cut the loading lever retainer flush to the barrel. He gave me the lever with it, but without the retainer (that small notched lug that protrudes down near the end of the barrel), the lever just flops down.

I bought a replacement for it and here's the question: What's the best method of removing the sawed off one? Bolt extractor? Drill it out? I don't know if it was just tapped in or if some type of weld or adhesive was used.

Thanks much in advance,

Gary
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: How do I replace a loading lever retainer on a Pietta 1858 Remington?

Hallo!

First, IMHO, talking about Italian reproductions can be 'hazardous' as they often change over time.

Uberti Remington M1863's, like the originals use the Period Correct dovetailed loading lever latch/catch. A punch from the side will slide it free. But....

Pietta had cheapened, er, simplified production to keep costs lower and has done away with the dovetail system and replaced with a pin that is held into a hole with a dribble of silver solder.

Since you do not have the catch or head portion to heat and grab and pull out, yes you will have to drill out the cut-off post in the hole.

The replacement catch, if you have drilled the hole to match the diameter of the post, will go back in the hole. Here you will have a choice.. if you have metric drills to be able to drill a new hole slightly smaller than the post diameter, you can simply tap it in place and friction should hold it well enough. If you do not, or do not want to trust to friction, you can use an ever so slightly than post diameter and solder or better yet silver solder it "more better."

I suppose at a minimum, you can scratch or file edge nick some "rings"' around the post (for purchase or bite holding power) and using a good epoxy, epoxy it in place. It would be marginal, and not as "good as" solder, but it is easier to use and NUG within the skill set and tool set of the average lad.

Silver solder requires higher temperature to melt and flux flow. "Heat sink' the barrel say in a vise to prevent warping it while heating hot enough to melt the solder.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hallo!

After I posted that...

A possible easier method would be to heat it, and then rap the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle. In theory when the solder melts the post stub would be free and a downward blow will send it flying out.

And if you are quick, the residual solder left in the hold might be enough to hold the new catch if you can get it in and tap it down fast enough.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Thank you, Curt.

Do you happen to know the drill size and, more importantly the depth of the hole? I can guess based on the replacement catch if you don't know, but I hate guessing. What do you mean by "heat sink"?

I actually bought two pistols he had done this to and managed to drill through into the barrel on the first one. I'm assuming it's been ruined, even for blank firing, correct?

I appreciate the response.

Gary

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Gary,

The barrel that you drilled through is ruined. Don't use it to shoot ANYTHING -- even blanks.

Regarding both Bubba'ed pistols: Companies that sell reproduction firearms parts, like Dixie and S&S, sell barrels for the Remingtons. The safest solution is to purchase two new barrels and have a gunsmith who knows what they are doing and has the right tools screw them into the receivers for you. Since you have so little money invested in the each of the pistols, you still come out ahead.

I don't like the idea of amateurs applying heat to barrels. That you don't know what a heat sink is indicates that you are an amateur. No offense meant. While the result might be safe for blanks, sooner or later someone who doesn't know the history of the firearm will use it for live firing.

Regards,
          Don Dixon

Comment

Don,

An amateur indicates someone who is a non professional, which I absolutely am. No offense at all taken.

I do know in relation to computers, heat sink means to dissipate the heat by the use of fins and air circulation. I was just having a hard time visualizing how to heat sink a barrel that has been placed in a vice.

I know that swords can become brittle by poking them into a camp fire. I assume overheating a gun barrel can do the same, evident by some overused cannon barrels cracking or bursting during the CW.

I wonder if heating a bolt extractor screwed into the stud would isolate the heat enough to just loosen the solder? It would also provide something to grip on to. I'll try that method and if it's unsuccessful, look at replacing the barrel.

My thanks to you and Curt for your help.

Gary

Comment

Also check out VTI Gun Parts: http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...ington%2C+Tiro
              Mike Stein
              Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Hallo!

Sorry to be slow, just back from three weeks in China.

Sorry, no. I have no idea. You would have to measure the Pietta part.

Herr Dixon is entirely correct,, and any time advice is shared "on line" one never knows the knowledge, skill sets, and tools possessed by the poster. For example, ,having and knowing how to use drill stops in a drill press.

I agree a replacement barrel for the drilled through barrel is best. For the other, it can depend upon a gunsmith and his "mood," as they could do the repair for you?

Curt
                Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                X