Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a progressive museum

Hi

I recently started studying a master in History with a focus on Cultural Heritage dissemination.
    (got a B.A. in medieval archaeology / History)

In September to mid December 2015 we have to go work at a museum as interns. (unpaid)

Now I can easily find a danish museum with a focus on military stuff,
    But I would like to go to a battlefield museum in the US.

On reason is that many others with my back group naturally want to go work at one of our viking age or medieval period museums... so Iam trying to be different.
    (the other is naturally that I have a clear interest in this period)

So what Iam looking for is a progressive museum. I havn't been to the US since 1998 and back then everyone could manage having items in glass cabinets, giving the guest a tour of the fields and have a reenactor showing drill and gear.

But how is it today? Use of interactive media? allowing the guest to be active? (could be drill, trying on uniforms, computer games or similar) Activities for children?

A good museum is more important than it being one about the civil war. So as long as we are talking 18-19th century warfare, I am open for suggestions about the revolution or similar.
    Thomas Aagaard

Re: Looking for a progressive museum

Thomas-

Here in Atlanta, there is the Atlanta History Center: http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/ that has a large collection of Civil War items from the Battle of Atlanta in the US Civil War.They are upgrading their site to include the Cyclorama from across town to there as well. They have some 19th Century buildings there I have done living history at. You might want to talk to Marvin Greer here on AC for more info there. He is a great guy that MIGHT be able to help.

All the best- Johnny
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Re: Looking for a progressive museum

Pamplin Park is the first one that comes to mind. I don't have any contacts though.

Pamplin Historical Park is a Civil War campus with four museums, three historic homes and the Breakthrough battlefield of April 2, 1865 near Petersburg VA.
      David H. Thomas
      Starr's NC Battery
      Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Working...
      X