hatchet man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hatchet man

We have strayed a bit from Will's original question.

Now that we have established some shape and use, does anyone have a source for usable examples or the name and contact for a Smith who can provide them.

Ornamental Smiths have become common but who makes fine tools?
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thats ok fellers. I did some looking around and believe it or not ebay has some decent looking antique hatchets. Also try the Double Edge Forge, Delaronde Forge, Tuckoe Trading Company has one and Mountain Top Trading Co has a Kentucky hatchet that might work well.Thanks for all the input.
      Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
      "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Comment

Yea where are the saws?I dont know how period or correct it is but I got a hand saw thats folds up and shes old.Made out of wood and steel and has a leather sling.. Dont think these were in use in the 1860s though. I guess maybe the cross cut saw was used when available. Not sure on that one either but thats what Greatgrandpa used.Anyone got some ideas or documentation? Give a shout.Heres one for you. In thick brush or briers I know a hatchet aint going to be so good how about taking an axe handle or limb and swinging it like a machete?You could use your musket for that matter. I think it might work better than a hatchet.Just a thought.

Comment

Well after looking at the Arabia pictures they definatly had hand saws and to me it doesnt look like the old hatchet has changed that much over the years except for what its made of..Thanks again yall.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee boiler
            Below is a pic from the Library of Congress similar to the one described above.
            Gentlemen,

The axe in the picture is a "Shingling Hatchet". They are designed to cut and attach cedar shingles. There is an axe blade on one side and a hammer head on the other. The hammer head has an octagon shape. The hatchet blade is basically square with no curve. As you can see in the picture, the top of the hatchet blade and the hammer head form a straight line. There is also a notch in the bottom of the blade, which I believe is used to pull nails. These hatchets used to be made in different sizes. I have two of these hatchets "from the period", somewhere between 1850 and 1880. The head on the small hatchet is 5 1/2" long and and the blade is 2 3/8" wide. The big hatchet is 6 1/2" long, and the blade is 3 3/8" wide. The hatchet in the picture seems closer in size to my larger hatchet. The hickory handles are straight.

The larger sized shingling hatchet is still being made today. The biggest difference I've found between the modern hatchets and my old ones is the finish. The blades on the new hatchets are finished much better, and I don't think this is just a factor of use and abuse. The casting just looks better.

Sorry, I'm sure this is more then almost anyone wanted to know about one hatchet!
            Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Re: axes, adzes and hatchets

Originally posted by yipper
              Gents,
              From an 1865 hardware catalog...
              Regards,
              geoffrey lehmann

Do you have a link to the online version of the Catalogue of American Hardware?

I'm a amateur collector of old axes, adzes, shovels, etc...
              Bill Young
              WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
              Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Re: axes, adzes and hatchets

Mr. Young,

I saved that image along with a couple of others that were posted on the old forum by Mr. Rick Bailey (Amtmann). I believe they are from a reprint of the Russell and Erwin Mfg. Co. 1865 catalog. Perhaps Mr. Bailey has more information regarding the reprint...

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
                geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Working...
                X