place to get drawers and socks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• place to get drawers and socks.

Whats a good place to get documented civilian authentic drawers and good hand-knit cotton and wool socks?
    Lane Reeder
    Co.E, 3rd Arkansas Infantry
    Texas Brigade
    Susterslot adalah salah satu situs yang menjadi tempat favorit para pemain game online di tahun 2024 yang masih menjadi trending topik hingga saat ini.

Re: place to get drawers and socks.

try:

C.J. Daley

or check the vendor page for more approved vendors

Comment

Try Morris Clothiers. His products and service are top notch. Todd is also very pleasant to speak with. He recently posted all that great info on shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdARboy
        Whats a good place to get...good hand-knit wool socks?
        Lane Reeder
        Texas Brigade
        www.texas-brigade.com
        Lane,
        Check out Mrs Lawson's socks carried by the Skilletlicker. They are superb. They are made from American wool and are hand-dyed using completely authentic, organic dyestuffs and mordants. There are other fine knitters out there, but I believe the "whole package" offered by Mrs Lawson sets her product apart.

cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdARboy
          Whats a good place to get documented civilian authentic drawers and good hand-knit cotton and wool socks?
          Lane Reeder
          Texas Brigade
          www.texas-brigade.com

I got mine from C.J.Daley... Very happy with the quality.
          Socks
          Drawers

Chris is a great guy as well and always happy to answer questions.
          -------------------------------------------
          Damon Palyka
          11th Indiana Zouaves Co. H
          N-SSA Miller Award Winner 2004

Comment

Lane,

It was good to make your acquaintance at Mansfield. As you were a part of my company, you may recal the sock issue that took place on Saturday afternoon. Two different versions of socks were issued to men who had pre-ordered them. The cotton socks were made by Mickey Black. The wool socks were knitted by Pam Lind. I own two pairs of Mrs. Lind's socks and they are fantastic. Her material and techniques are all outstanding, as is the fit, service, speed, and care with which each pair is manufactured. I would HIGHLY recommend contacting her at: dustycowboy_00@yahoo.com
            That is actually her husband, Dusty's, email address but I have a feeling that he'd be kind enough to pass along a message to her. Perhaps he'll see this thread and post her direct address.

The suggestions on drawers all sound good to me. I found a pair here on the forums and you may be able to luck across a pair that way. Bottom line, there are many options, particularly on socks. I'd check around and shop around. I know you're a young feller and money is tight but consider that both Mrs. Timor and Mrs. Lind both knit their goods by hand with correct patterns I don't think their asking price is even remotely too high. They are well worth it. Your feet with thank you I can promise! I wore my Lind socks at Mansfield and my feet were fine at the end of our long walk.

Hope this helps.

Fred Baker
            Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Allow me to first suggest that questions of this nature would be best situated in the School of Instruction forum, vice here in the Authentic Discussion folder.

Mr. Hicks, You get a ceegar! (Virtually, of course.) Post moved to COI for discussion. JS Mod.

Now... as for my contribution to the question at hand:

I recently purchased a period Undershirt from Todd Morris. He had ceased producing this particular garment out of concern for it's authenticity. Prior to re-commencing the making of this undershirt, he traveled to Gettysburg and spoke at length with the curator of the items on display there, and was given the opportunity to once again study the undershirt on display there. Mr. Morris uses that original article as the item form which he reproduces his undershirts. His attention to detail and desire to reproduce a quality item is commendable. The undershirt I received from him is a great item. I whole heartedly endorse his period undershirts.

Underpants? I have a pair made by Mr. Daley. He too has demonstrated the same degree of attention to detail and authenticity in the articles of clothing I have purchased from him.

As you can see... there are a number of outstanding manufacturers of quality clothing items.
              Last edited by Yellowhammer; 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian,

From Mr. Morris' website:

"Our undershirt has been developed by our own observations and research on the men's underhsirt. Based on our observations of the Shirt at Gettysburg NMP, and reviewing period information we have worked to produce a reasonable facsimile of this type of garment."

Do you know if Mr. Morris' observations were based on actual examination of the garment in question or was it viewed "through the glass?" I've always been intrigued by that garment and would be interested in a good reproduction.

Just curious.
                Last edited by Yellowhammer; 04-08-2004, 10:56 AM.
                John Stillwagon

Comment

I must say that Andrew Martin makes an excellent pair of civilian drawers. I have a pair of canton flannel civilian drawers that he made for me, truly spectacular work and great attention to detail. You can reach him via e-mail at drewmar74@yahoo.com.

Regards,
                  James K. Masson

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowhammer
                    Brian,

From Mr. Morris' website:

"Our undershirt has been developed by our own observations and research on the men's underhsirt. Based on our observations of the Shirt at Gettysburg NMP, and reviewing period information we have worked to produce a reasonable facsimile of this type of garment."

Do you know if Mr. Morris' observations were based on actual examination of the garment in question or was it viewed "through the glass?" I've always been intrigued by that garment and would be interested in a good reproduction.

Just curious.
                    John,

Very good question indeed. I have the letter at home which Mr. Morris enclosed to me with the shirt. I do not recall if he actually delineates between whether he was allowed to physically touch/manipulate the shirt, or if his observations were restricted to merely a visual inspection. I do however recall that he stated that he did have to revise his earlier pattern after his most recent trip to Gettysburg. He also shared with me what he learned of the shirts providence. Which basically is: there is no reason to believe the shirt was ever worn (and especially was never an issue item) by any soldier during the Civil War. However... the curator of the display was explicitly confident that the shirt is an original item of the period, albeit a civilian item, vice a military item.

When I return to my residence this afternoon, I'll take another look at what Mr. Morris wrote to me.
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian,

Mr. Morris' website basically makes the same statements that were in your letter:

"Our research indicates that the shirt is a period garment. In a conversation with Mike Vice, Director of Research & Development for Family Heirloom Weavers, and former curator at the Gettysbrug National Military Park the originality of this garment was confirmed. Mr. Vice stated 'The garment was sent to Harpers Ferry where it was documented as being a period piece." In adiditon, he did state, " We were not able to determine if it was of civilian or miltary manufacture.'"

From this statement, one can conclude that there is some debate over the authenticity (in the most literal sense) of that garment.

As an aside for those who don't know this, it is important to note that not everything on display at Gettysburg is original. The belt and shirt (actually a dickie) on the Confederate mannequin wearing the "mystery jacket" are reproductions. (Some of you may have noted that belt is incorrectly assembled.) I'm told some of the items in the camp display are not original.

To the point, and one of the reasons I asked my earlier question in the first place, is that it is my understanding from the current curator that the undershirt on display is not an original Civil War piece or even a copy of an original Civil War piece. I'm told it is a "conjectural reconstruction" of what they think a typical Civil War undershirt may have looked like.

I'm not sure how to reconcile the comments of the former curator and the current curator but take both comments for what they are worth and draw your own conclusions. Caveat Emptor.
                      John Stillwagon

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowhammer
                        As an aside for those who don't know this, it is important to note that not everything on display at Gettysburg is original. The belt and shirt (actually a dickie) on the Confederate mannequin wearing the "mystery jacket" are reproductions. (Some of you may have noted that belt is incorrectly assembled.) I'm told some of the items in the camp display are not original.

`

I am of the understanding that the buttons on the "mystery jacket" were sewn on in the 20th century. Has anybody else heard this?
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

A number of years ago, "we" took the Cureator at the Smithsonian to task for his including an (electroplated) reproduction Civil War "mucket" in the Rev War camp display.
                          When finally painted into a corner, he blamed it on the Rev War vendor G. Gedney Godwin for having the item in their Rev War catalog listing. (Actually it was not, it was listed in his Civil War supplement.)

And I am reminded of the P1856 Enfield sword bayonet listed in a local museum as a "Relic of the 1763 Bradstreet Expedition."

Also...

"Mr. Morris" does not appear as an "Approved Vendor" listed on the AC Forum?

While I am not familiar with his product line or wares, and while he may have improved upon the apparent "quality" demonstrated by his pictures, or the pictures maybe dated, I do not know- in the absence of further clarification or review of his products- he perhaps should not be recommended (at this point) in posts on this Forum?

While "quality" and "service" can mean different things to different people, and the degree of historical correctness and/or historical faithfulness can sometimes be a subjective/objective discussion in the mind and eyes of the beholder- the bottom line should be how well does any item compare to the materials, patterns, and construction methods of the originals.

We should always be cautious, and on guard, as we have too often heard this mantra from many low quality Sutler Row vendors: "Yup, copied from an original."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 04-08-2004, 03:51 PM.
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Gentlemen,

First let me say that I am not going to say a word about the "Undershirt" that I make, since I am not an approved vendor.

Now for the research. At the end of February I had the pleasure to meet Dean Knudsen, the new curator of the Gettysburg National Military Park. Dean was very helpful in allowing me to examine the undershirt.

We were not allowed to remove it from the display stand, but were allowed to photograph through an open panel. The lighting still was kept down, as Dean could not find the switches to turn up the lights, but he did offer. The photos that I did take in the low level light with my small 35 mm came out somewhat grainy, the best pics I have of the shirt are actually though the closed case with my digital camera that I took the next day. I did take some diagrams and notes during my study of the shirt. In optimum condition, I would have loved to been able to look at the shirt back at the archives, but could not do that at that time. One of my biggest goals was to take a small hand held magnifying lense to examine the hole in the front of the shirt. In doing so, I wanted to look and see if the threads were frayed or showed signs of being relieved by a razor blade before distressing. In doing so, it may lend some value to the story of the authenticity of the garment. Unfortunately conditions did not allow for me to get to the inside of the center of the shirt to examine this closely.

As for the authenticity of the shirt, I have attached a copy of the Museum Catalog Record for the garment. This gives some more information about the shirt. The original tale about the shirt goes much like this. "The shirt was made based on written acounts of a basic undershirt. It was reproduced using commons period sewing techniques and then aged by the addition of the hole in the shirt front (which goes all the way through by the way) and the staining to the body". This was part of me and Dean's conversation as we went back to the archives and looked at other period shirts. This information had been shared with me by several reputable people in the hobby, and was taken at face value until more reserach could be done.

The weekend that I was at Gettysburg I had the chance to speak with Pat Kline about some stuff, while they were at a "Show & Sell". In attendamce was Mike Vice, former GNMP Curator, and now working for FHW in charge of Research. Pat gave him some big title, and forgive me if I dont recall it right now. Anyways, I spoke with Mr. Vice about the status of the undershirt in question. He must have been asked this one alot, cause he gave me the quick and angered version of it. Mike said the shirt cannot be proven to be either of military or civilian use, but it was sent to Harper Ferry for conservation and study where it was determined to be of period manufacture.
                            I wish I had a tape recorder so I could quote him word for word. So this of course left me with some more questions. Currently I am trying to find any additional records that may pertain to the study of this particular artifact.

Needless to say, the rearch is not conclusive, and as Mr. Stillwagon points out, probably never will be. Basically, you be the judge until at such time I or someone else can produce more solid evidence as to the date of this shirt.
                            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

While there is no 100% account of this shirt exsisting anywhere other than in the museum, I feel the construction techniques are dead on with the time period we portray. The material, as well as the technique all are done to period standards. This shirt is also a dead on match to the item in the collection, despite it's questionable origins, with the exception of the hole not being put in it. Todd, for authenticities sake, can you cut the hole in them from now on? I would like to say, despite the questionable origins of this item, Mr. Morris' issue shirts are outstanding. They are also dead on for an original, as well as meeting up to, if not exceeding, similar items made by other vendors. I do strongly feel that this gentleman should be among the list of recomended vendors.

Comment

Working...
                              X