Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: place to get drawers and socks.

Todd,

Thank you for your excellent post. Your information conforms to mine in nearly every detail.

Josh,

You state, "While there is no 100% account of this shirt exsisting anywhere other than in the museum, I feel the construction techniques are dead on with the time period we portray."

While I'm sure the construction techniques in the reproduction you own are period, that is only one piece of the puzzle. In order for an item to be an authentic reproduction, it must be correct in materials, pattern and construction.

That said, if the shirt is not patterned off an original, then at best any reproduction of it can only be correct in materials and perhaps construction. If the undershirt is indeed a conjectural reconstruction of a "typical example" as evidence seems to indicate it was, then no reproduction of it can by definition be considered an authentic reproduction as the original garment copied was never "an original" in the first place.
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 04-09-2004, 09:49 AM.
    John Stillwagon

Comment

Here are some pics for you all to look at while you compose your next point. I took then at the Gettysburg VC "through the glass" less than a month ago. Sorry if they are so large, but they offer the best quality and detail.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Back to the original question?!?!?

For civilian pattern drawers...I would go with Chris Daly's. They really are an exceptional buy, and a good variation on a basic garment.
        Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
        Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
        Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Re: place to get drawers and socks. (A Talk with William Brown)

Gentlemen,

On April 13, 2004 at 1400 hrs I had the pleasure to speak with William Brown, Curator/Historian, Furnishings Department, Harpers Ferry Center, or as we know him, author of "Thoughts on Men's Shirts in America, 1750-1900".

Our conversation centered around the study of the "Undershirt" in display at the Gettysburg Visitor Center.

We initially talke about the stories surrounding the garment. Mr. Brown was some what astounded when I told him the story of the garment being a reproduction. He stated that the garment was not a reproduction, and the shirt was NPS records would indicate its status on the catalog sheet. Mr Brown stated "The shirt is a mid-19th century civilian undergarment." He backed this up by saying " I was the one who bought the shirt and provided it to the NPS." I then went on to explain what Mike Vice had told me back in February. Mr. Brown continued with "...it is civilian, and not of military origin."

From this Mr. Brown spoke of the acquisition of the shirt and the current display that it resides in. He said that in the mid-1980's he was the project planner for the reconditioning of the Visitior Center display. He stated that as a 10 year old he examined many pictures in detail. Of most note with the assorted published photos of Union & Confederate Dead. He examined them with a fine tooth comb to look at the assorted clothing articles in the pictures. He noted this as the beginning of his current endeavors. He took this interest from his youth and discussed with the exhibit designer how he wished to show, broken down, the assorted articles of the common soldier. He wanted to show from the tip of their toes to the top of their head. As artificats were assembled, there were some obvious voids. From there he said that he went to work in finding the missing articles that he wanted. Mr. Brown attended an estate auction in Gettysburg, and was able to purchase both the underhsirt and drawers menioned in the NPS Catalog Form that I posted in a previous post. Mr. Brown supplied these items to the NPS for the dispaly.

Continuing with our coversation, we spoke about Pattern, Materials, & Construction. He spoke of the undershirt in general terms and mentioned that the garment was in fact an original piece. I asked if there had been any laboratory studies of the garments fibres to determine authenticity. Mr. Brown responded with "No, no in depth study other than my inital purchase."

We then went into a discussion on some of his shirts in his book. He was very pleased to hear that many of us reference his work, and study it in detail. He was glad to here that some of us take his work and reproduce what we have seen. He wanted to make sure that we knew that "Thouhgts on Men's Shirts" was meant to be used for this purpose.

With this phone coversation I surmise that we can speak about this current undershirt on display at the GNMP in the terms of an authenticated artifact. Mr. Brown's statements and review of the garment himself places the shirt in the category of Mid-19th Century Men's fashions. Our course we know that mid-19th century covers more than just the 4 years of the Civil War.
          With some more input by Mr. Brown, and more Research....perhaps we shall know more about this shirt. Though not conclusive, we may be more closer to providing a more solid provenance to this "Undershirt".

Time and Research may tell, for now you can be the judge and take or not take Mr. Browns comments at face value.
          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
          X