Officer Cape evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Cape evaluation

Every once in awhile you stumble on an item that is extremely versatile - such is the officer cape being produced by Chris Daley off of one of two originals imported from France and owned by a NY company officer. I carried it at Mansfield and it was the perfect item to have in the cold nights and hot days. At night one simply doffs jacket and puts the cape on, buttoned. I used my jacket over my stocking feet. Toss the blanket over a pard and yourself and you are good to go. In the morning, cape goes on over the jacket until the sun comes up and then you roll it up in the knapsack and off you go. Cuts down on having to carry a heavy blanket or extra blanket.

Excellent quality garment that is practical for Spring or Fall or winter when carrying an overcoat is too much. Would help in the rain as well. Geez this sounds like a fashion show description. These are obviously private purchase type items but I would think good for both sides - the originals went to US officers but they are made of BG kersey.

Well done!
    Last edited by DougCooper; 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Officer Cape evaluation

I have to agree with Doug. I purchased mine and used it the very day it arrived at the MOOCOWS Land Between The Lakes event. That very night temperatures dipped into the low-mid 20's and the cape gave me that extra layer that helped me make it through the night. It's light weight and small size when packed made it no burden at all during the physical marches- a great coat would have killed me! And it is very helpful in the rain. When it began to rain Saturday night while I was awake as the officer of guard, I simply backed up against a tree, threw my gum blanket over my body and my belongings and tossed the cape up over my head. It kept my head dry and warm. A bully good product with many uses. Thanks Chris for the excellent product and excellent service- getting me the cape on the quick so I could use it right away.
    [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
    [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
    Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
    Member The Company of Military Historians
    Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
    Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
    [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
    X