CS Georgia uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Georgia uniforms

I'm wanting to put together an impression on my ancestor who was in Co E, 54th Georgia infantry, he enlisted in '62 and surrendered in '65. I found some info on him on fold3, but its hard to read (can someone post pics for me?)

I read somewhere that in '61 Georgia enlisted men had a 9 button, cadet gray, frock coat with functional cuffs, black trim and waist pockets. What coats would they've had after that period, as well as what accoutrements, etc?

I want to be as authentic as possible. And I understand I may have to buy a few different uniforms.
    Last edited by 8thTenn; 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM.
    Matthew Sirmans

Re: CS Georgia uniforms

Begin your search looking for quartermaster records of that unit specifically. You will likely come up with very little. Expand to the brigade level and further if necessary. You have a great start and you will find that as the war progressed the diversity of uniforms within larger troop bodies tended to diminish.

First hand accounts from the unit in the form of diaries etc are invaluable. Even a brief mention of a jacket or piece of equipment can provide a clue. Research will take time but is necessary to properly develop your impression.

I'd also recommend going for a generic impression, for example western or eastern CS. It is rare to portray the same unit all of the time and the versatility of a generic impression will open doors for a lot of exciting events. Specific impressions are limiting depending on impression requirements and are often not permitted depending on the event.

Good luck!
    Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
    SCAR

Comment

Thanks for the reply, my main impression right now (at least I'm still researching) is a generic Tennessee soldier in the AoT.

How do I find which brigade? I searching but keep coming up short. I would buy some books but hate to spend the money only for it to be a dead end
      Last edited by 8thTenn; 08-05-2015, 11:14 AM.
      Matthew Sirmans

Comment

In 64 and 65, the 54th Georgia Infantry Regiment was part of Mercer's Brigade, Walker's Division, Hardee's Corps during the Atlanta campaign and part of Smith's Brigade, Brown's Division, Hardee's Corps during the Carolina's campaign. Prior to that it I believe it was assigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida and saw limited action around Charleston in 1863 but you probably want to double check and do your own research.
        Mike Randolph
        First Independent Brigade
        Pvt. 38th Ga. Inf.
        Pvt. 121st OVI

Comment

Thanks, this will at least help narrow my search.

According to a hospital record he was admitted August 26, 1864 for a "V.S. through the calf left leg" according to ancestry the V.S. is abbreviated for vul sclopet which stands for gunshot wound, is that correct?
          Last edited by 8thTenn; 08-05-2015, 04:11 PM.
          Matthew Sirmans

Comment

Topic seems familiar : http://civilwartalk.com/threads/geor...niform.116418/
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Probably because that's my post on that forum. You can see the pictures I attached of my ancestor's records

PS: Sorry if I sound like a smart*** I'm not trying to
              Matthew Sirmans

Comment

The Atlanta History Center has in its collection a grouping from Hamilton Branch, who was an officer in the 54th Georgia. Although he was an officer, hus uniform seems to be Confederate Issue, rather than a private purchase item. These uniforms are also featured in Time Life's Echoes of Glory (EOG).

Dan Limb
                Dan Limb
                One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
                James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

I also have an ancestor in Company E, 54th GA (Seaborn J Sutton). Unfortunately I have not been able to find much in the way of research on the unit. The book below is a good read, and although chronicles the 57th GA Infantry, does have several mentions of the 54th since they were brigaded together for a time.

Hell's Broke Loose in Georgia: Survival in a Civil War Regiment [Walker, Scott] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Hell's Broke Loose in Georgia: Survival in a Civil War Regiment
                  Mark Taylor

Comment

Company E is from my home county. I had an ancestor in the Company as well. Check out the book Charlotte's Boys it has the letter that Hamilton Branch wrote to his mother I forget which company he was in thought. On a side note during the battle of Atlanta the 54th's flag was destroyed at that time they where issued a Hardee pattern flag. The flag is in the collection of the Georgia Historical Society and is the only Hardee flag known to belong to a Georgia unit.
                    Marc Mathis
                    Flatlanders Mess

Comment

If you're familiar with the Savannah area, the 54th manned a siege train that defended the city as well as Rose Dew battery (which survives and is in beautiful condition, but on a private island), and a battery of guns on Coffee Bluff. The 54th Georgia is also blamed for a rebellion that occured when they tried to mutiny by disposing of Rose Dew's ordnance and marching on Savannah. One good book that mentions this incident is Hell's Broke Loose in Georgia (which is about the 57th Georgia) as well as the diary of Cornelius Hanleiter, who stopped that same rebellion.
                      Dillan Lee
                      "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
                      Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Comment

Working...
                      X