authentic noncommissioned officers: a school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic noncommissioned officers: a school

We tend to focus a lot on getting the material culture right. Nothing wrong with that. A "good impression," though, can go beyond that, if you want.

As part of its mission to promote excellence in the interpretation of Civil War history, the Civil War Living History Institute is offering a Noncommissioned Officer School this year. Two weekends: July 30-Aug. 1 in Fort Washington, Md., and Sept. 24-26 at Brandy Station, Va., and open to both Union and Confederate reenactors.

There were no such schools during the Civil War, and this training is not "an event". It's preparation. Even so, we plan on a period atmosphere. The goal is to help living historians better depict -- and realistically function as -- the sergeants and corporals without whom no military organization can successfully carry out its mission.

It's a lot of fun, and a lot of people are involved in putting this one on. If you want to know more, head for www.cwlhi.org and click on the "NCO School" window.
    Bill Watson
    Stroudsburg

Re: authentic noncommissioned officers: a school

Bill, do you (or anyone else who happens to read this) know if such a thing is offered by any organization out here in the Western Theatre?
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyReb
      Bill, do you (or anyone else who happens to read this) know if such a thing is offered by any organization out here in the Western Theatre?
      I don't think anyone is doing exactly what we're trying to do, but it would sure be good if someone would. We're trying to go way beyond the scope of the regular spring camps of instruction that units have, and we're zeroing in one thing: noncommissioned officers, what does it take to be a good one in our world?

I bet that, after we get 2004 under our belt, some of us would be glad to travel out there to help someone set up a similar annual program, and learn from our mistakes. You essentially need organizers, drill masters to work with the training company, classroom instructors, and two venues, one for the more scholarly weekend and one for an in-the-field weekend. That's our paradigm, anyway.

Maybe potential organizers might want to look into coming to this, either as "students" or as instructors of some type or another? All inquiries welcome. :-)
      Bill Watson
      Stroudsburg

Comment

This concept is nothing new. For example, several groups host "non-commissioned officer training days" or "training weekends" specifically for NCOs. At the August 2003 Fort Wayne (Detroit, Michigan) LH event run by the GHTI there were classes on leadership in the field and what it takes to be a NCO.

Bill, while I admire what you're doing with the CWLHI, shouldn't this thread be moved to the "events" folder? It certainly isn't part of the "authenticity discussion" of this folder.

Comment

Bill,

I moved this to the Sinks because, as Kevin points out, the topic doesn't really fit into an authenticity folder (not done during the actual war) and it really isn't an event, so much as a learning experience/instructional drill session.

Sounds like a great exercise.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Well, my thinking was that this is aimed directly at helping folks create a more authentic depiction of a noncommissioned officer, but it really doesn't matter where it ends up, people are seeing it and responding.

Kevin and all: We tried to build this training partly around our own vision, and partly by listening to what people were saying about other "noncom schools" they attended. One person had been disappointed by a noncom school that ended up teaching him only how to produce authentic cartridges - that's what he took away from it, anyway. Another emphasized drill and maneuver, only. Then there are the reenactorisms to identify and sort out, the stuff that creeps into all our impressions that we need to be aware of and minimize. We are going to try to address all the oughtabes, wannabes and shouldabeens to meet a need that is to some unknown extent not already being met, at least not across the board.
            Noncommissioned officer is a multi-faceted role and one that, done as realistically as possible even in a reenacting environment, really does help take everyone farther down the road to 186x. We're trying for a comprehensive approach that empowers people to go back to their home base and immediately make a contribution that will be appreciated.

Some people learn quite well just by reading. Others learn by having things explained to them by another human being. Others learn when they see things being done. Still others learn when they do it themselves. We will combine all of that -- read, listen, see, do, all in a very focused environment. And no, that's not new, either, that's the adult learning model.

This really has me more excited this year than any of the events I'll be attending. It's Company I kicked up several notches.
            Bill Watson
            Stroudsburg

Comment

Working...
            X