Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 1858 cylinder - 2 inspection stamped

Hello -
    I recently purchased a 1858 Remington at a gun shop out of state. Serial numbers match, both barrel and under the left grip.
    There were two different stamps on the cylinder. One was a "W" and on the other side of the cylinder, there was a "P"
    Does this indicate, two inspectors inspected my revolver? Most of the other stamps, are just the letter "W"
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike L
    Mike Lanska

Re: Remington 1858 cylinder - 2 inspection stamped

Hallo!

More likely an M1863 Remington.

Normally, Usually, Generally (NUG)... single letter stamps are those of "parts" sub-inspectors responsible for a part that takes more than one manufacturing step or process to be completed and gets inspected at both instead of just once.

What is the serial number? I can probably run it and may be find the date and/or to whom it may have been issued.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for responding, Curt.
      I am the proud owner of a 44 caliber, 1858 Remington New Army. The serial
      number is 88,781. Its also the same number under the left grip. The initials "GP"
      are on the left lower grip.

There are two stamps on the cylinder, - - one side a letter "P", and on the opposite side a letter "W"

The frame is also double stamped. A letter "P" on the left side of the barrel, and a letter "W" on the right.

Two inspections?

Thanks
      Docent (Mike Lanska)
      Mike Lanska

Comment

Hallo!

88,781 falls in the range issued to Company "A" 13th Missouri Cavalry in January 1865.

"W" and "P" are common sub-inspector's stamps. "W's" are often commonly found on cylinders, "P's" on frames.

I am trying to survive a remodeling project and my main book cases are randomly boxed awaiting a new floor this and next week. Get back to me in a couple of weeks and I can probably give you a date a manufacture. I would predict, though, December 1864 or January 1865.

The first batch of M1863 "New Model" armies were shipped on this day in 1864.

In history, there is no such thing as a M1858 Remington New Model Army.... it is modern reenacting, vendor, and sometimes sadly even a collector thing.
        The New Model Army is the M1863, called that because it made the previous M1861 Army the "Old Army." (Same for the Navy's.)

The 1858 Beals-Remington (aka Remington-Beals) was initially patented by Beals in 1858 and when Remington bought out the patent they stamped the original 1858 date of the Beals design on their M1861 and M1863 Old and New Model revolvers. The Beals was never a "Model 1858" Remington either.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks Curt - very good information
          Mike Lanska

Comment

Working...
          X