Wheeling movements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheeling movements

The question has been posed to me of 'Why do you think Hardee allowed the line to bend slightly to the rear (396) when wheeling?'. I have been through Hardees and not been able to find a thing as to why this is acceptable. What say y'all?
    Paul Wolbeck, Captain
    33rd AL Inf

Pvt. Ezra Walker
    36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guard

Re: Wheeling movements

I believe it bending to the rear allows this to take place "the pivot man, instead of merely turning in his place, will conform himself to the movement of the marching flank". If the line bends forward the flanks would be unable to see each other.

I am sure someone much better versed in drill will answer with more detail and fact.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Jeremy,

That along the lines I was thinking, I just didn't want to influence another's opinion.
      Paul Wolbeck, Captain
      33rd AL Inf

Pvt. Ezra Walker
      36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guard

Comment

Makes sense to me. Here's the link to a Goetzel print : https://archive.org/stream/rifleinfa...2up/search/396 I think it's more that the middle of the line should resist the urge to step ahead of the moving flank and the pivot because sight will be blocked. It's not mentioned specifically, but seems logical.

FYI, the paragraph at issue is from the School of the Soldier and concerns the moving pivot wheel. The phrase at issue isn't stated in the wheel from a fixed pivot which can be found a few pages before the text at issue.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames70 View Post
          The question has been posed to me of 'Why do you think Hardee allowed the line to bend slightly to the rear (396) when wheeling?'. I have been through Hardees and not been able to find a thing as to why this is acceptable. What say y'all?
          Keeping in mind there are two types of wheels for two types of maneuvers:

1. Fixed pivot. For moving a company from line of battle into a column, and back.

2. Moving pivot. For changing the direction of a column of subdivisions (column of companies, platoons, etc.)

If you are using Hardee's 1855 manual as a reference, the answer is in SoC, paragraph 227., Changes in Direction of a column (The wording is the same in every manual):

227. If, in changes of direction, the pivot of the subdivision which wheels should not clear the wheeling point, the next subdivision would be arrested and distances lost; for the guide who conducts the marching flank having to describe an arc, in length about once and a half the front of the subdivision, the second subdivision would be already up with the wheeling point, whilst the first which wheels has yet the half of its front to execute, and hence would be obliged to mark time until that half be executed. It is therefore prescribed, that the pivot of each subdivision should take steps of nine or eleven inches in length, according to the swiftness of the gait, in order not to arrest the march of the next subdivision. The chiefs of subdivision will look well to the step of the pivot, and cause his step to be lengthened or shortened as may be judged necessary. By the nature of this movement, the centre of each subdivision will bend a little to the rear.
          Assuming a company is part of a battalion marching in a column of companies, and is changing direction:

1. The guide on the wheeling flank is the only one who knows where the company must go. He follows in the trace of the guide of the company before him, maintains his proper interval to that company, and disregards maintaining any dress or touch of the elbows of his own company.

2. The men in the company maintain the touch of the elbows toward the wheeling flank, but resist pressure coming from the pivot, or freely give ground toward the pivot. This ensures the guide on the wheeling flank is not pushed out of his trace.

3. The guide who is on the pivot flank maintains his touch of the elbow toward the wheeling flank, but freely gives ground toward the pivot. He circumscribes a small arc shortening or lengthening his step to conform to the wheeling flank. He does not concern himself with following in any trace. His only job is to clear the wheeling point so the next company does not run into them.

4. The captain advises the guide on the pivot flank from his position in front of the center of the company

5. The man behind the captain maintains his interval of two paces.

Putting all of these moving parts together, as well as the men of the company trying to figure out the change of direction, will cause the center of the company to naturally bend to the rear.

Now, a wheel on a fixed pivot does not allow for any bending. The difference is the company is starting from a halt and then ending at a halt. There is no change of direction the men need to figure out on the move, therefore, the wheel should be nice and straight.
          Daniel Griego
          "Elmer Divens"
          High Private
          Woodtick Mess

Comment

Working...
          X