Some choice period swearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some choice period swearing

Found this original letter in the Library of Congress. It is from John C. Lemmon, Colonel of the 10th NY Cavalry, to Abraham Lincoln, November 1, 1863, concerning two officers who had been dismissed from the regiment. Lemmon quotes one of these officers, Wilkinson W Paige, in some detail. This is some profane terminology that I had not heard before! The letter is an extraordinary document because I think it must have been rare to include such terrible and sacrilegious oaths in a letter to the President of the United States. It says as much about Lemmon's own character as the men he is disparaging.

All is not as it seems in this sordid little story. Lemmon left the regiment in disgrace and the two officers he mentions were reinstated in the regiment. John Ordner was killed in 1864 leading a charge at Trevillian Station (the same charge that helped free Custer's brigade from its predicament--see Wittenburg, Glory Enough for All) and Wilkinson Paige was killed in action not long after at St. Mary's Church. I do not doubt, however, that Lemmons' stories about Paige were true. He seems to have been able to inspire his men but was known for being bit of a wag and a jokester. Despite his profanity, he insisted that the men of his original compnay (Co F) attend church when encamped at Gettysburg and apparently played a great role in turning this undisciplined company around.

Ken Morris

Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress. Transcribed and Annotated by the Lincoln Studies Center, Knox College. Galesburg, Illinois.

From John C. Lemmon to Abraham Lincoln1, November 1, 1863

[Note 1 Lemmon was colonel of the 10th New York Cavalry.]

Washington Nov. 1. 1863

Sir

I understand that an effort is being made to have certain officers heretofore connected with the 10th Ny Cavalry and were discharged from the Service to be restored and as I am not permitted to see you I am obliged to address you this letter. Capt W. W. Paige while at Elmira and at a time when the Regt was being organized engaged in a meeting & marched his Company to the Guard house & demanded the arms. I arrested him & could there have been a Court-Martial covened he would have been shot which can be proven by a hundred men, & while we were in Camp at Baltimore did take the Band of the Regt and serenade a Secession Gambling house, & some of the members of the Common Council wrote me a letter protesting against such conduct he was arrested but never tried oweing to the Regt being moved from place to place this charge can be proved by every member of the Band & many very Respectable Citizens. This house Capt Paige serenaded the Husband & two sons were then in the Rebel Army. This Capt Paige is grossly profane and it can be proven that a common oath with him is By the Holy hind quarters of the Crucified Jesus & by the Holy Hind quarters of the Lamb of God, and Oh Christ the ink maker these charges can be proven by hundreds of witnesses

Capt John Ordner killed the Sutlers tent Clerk in a drunken Brawl and is very much addicted to drunkeness, I ask for justice for all these men and I also ask for justice for myself I do not shrink from the closest scrutiny into my conduct. I understand there has been forged papers presented against me that I do not know the content off2

[Note 2 For more on Lemmon and the 10th New York Cavalry, see Lincoln to Edwin M. Stanton, October 22, 1863; Joseph Holt to Peter H. Watson, October 24, 1863; and Thomas M. Vincent to John H. Hardie, November 6, 1863.]

I have the honor to be

Your Excellencies Most

Obedient Servant

John C. Lemmon

Col 10th Ny Cavalry
Working...
X