Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times it takes to deploy...

Sirs,

I am in search of some loose timing rates for the deployment of the following:
    A division
    A brigade
    A regiment

I realize any attempt to time the deployment of a group of soldiers from column to line of battle is general at best, but I was looking for some loose, but authentic numbers.

Thanks to you all,
    Steve Acker

Re: Times it takes to deploy...

From " The 7th Tennessee Infantry in the Civil War: A History and Roster," by William Thomas Venner, p. 85:

Directions filtered down from division to brigade thirty minutes later; they were to deploy in line of battle. The 7th Tennessee Regiment's orders were to form near Chambersburg Pike; the rest of the brigade, then, to deploy to their right. The brigade fanned out, the 7th Tennessee on the left, then the 14th Tennessee, the 1st Tennessee, and finally the remainder of the 13th Alabama. It took time to move all 1,200 men into proper position. Finally Archer's men were posted and ready for battle; having created a line anchored on Chambersburg Pike and extending south through woodlots and wheat fields for nearly 400 yards. North of the road, another one of Harry Heth's commanders, Brig. Gen. Joseph Davis, worked his 2,300 men into position, with his regiments extending northward for nearly 750 yards. The process was time-consuming; nearly an hour passed before the two brigades were properly arrayed and ready to advance.
    I don't know what his documentation for that timeframe was. He has a website here: http://www.thomasvenner.com/. Perhaps you can ask him.
    Last edited by Palmyra Possum; 03-02-2016, 05:54 PM. Reason: corrected typos
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Comment

Re: Times it takes to deploy...

Thanks Eric.

Steve Acker
      Old, I am the worst part of my impression.

Comment

Working...
      X