CWDD: Beef Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWDD: Beef Stew

General Silas Casey recognized the shortfall in education and understand of cooking in his brigade. He issued a circular in 1862 detailing the duties in the camp kitchens (for both enlisted men and officers) and gave some recipe suggestions.

In Episode 6 of Volume II, we show you how to prepare one of those recipes.

Join us for General Casey's Beef Stew!
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: CWDD: Beef Stew

Great videos! They've definitely been a help as I try to improve.
    I've noticed a lot of your recipes involve beef, with the FDA buzzing in my ear, how do you keep beef safe for consumption "out in the field" for the weekend? I did some searching but didn't find anything answering this. Thanks!
    Ryan Schuda
    Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
    Dirty First Mess

Comment

Love the video, keep them coming!
      Thank You,
      Ted Hubbard
      19th Ohio Infantry

Comment

Beef was driven on the hoof and then slaughtered when needed to be issued. So just do that and you will be fine!

Really, the best thing if you get or bring fresh beef is to cook it on Friday night however your preparing it. I have done so and consumed it all day Saturday maybe with a reboil or refry to heat it up. Also makes me feel better from that just in case perspective. A large company meal the cook probably has a secret ice chest to keep it safe. A compromise since we really can't bring in cattle to butcher.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Jeremy,
          Great videos on cooking in the field. Got a question on the driving the beef on the hoof and then slaughtering which would maybe help us today. I have not read much about cooking which I also like to do when I can. When the cow/steer was slaughter, was the entire animal consumed when the meat was issued? Meaning did they feed the men in one sitting or was the issued meat carried with them for a time. I am wondering how long a soldier would carry a piece of uncooked beef before it would go bad. Now, I don't want to ride around with a raw piece of beef in my haversack for an entire weekend, I was just wondering how long it would last and how long a typical soldier walked around with a raw piece of beef or if they did that at all.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
          X