NC Star Canteens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Star Canteens

Pards I was wondering if anyone had any info on the NC star canteen that was manufactured supposedly in North Carolina. All I know is that some have been found on various battlefields but have no idea where they were made or what units might have had them. Sorry if this has been covered before.Thanks in advance.
    Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
    "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Re: NC Star Canteens

Originally posted by Will Rumsey
    Pards I was wondering if anyone had any info on the NC star canteen that was manufactured supposedly in North Carolina. All I know is that some have been found on various battlefields but have no idea where they were made or what units might have had them. Sorry if this has been covered before.Thanks in advance.
    Added a picture of an original canteen of which you describe from the Gettysburg VC. Dont quote me on this as Dan Houde has the doccumentation on it, but if I remember correctly, one was dug at Kennisaw and one at Chick. Dan if you could share the info, please do.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Indeed, happy to. According to Sylvia and O'Donnell, these are believed to have been made in North Carolina for the Confederacy. There is not a lot of info available on these. There are a few originals pictured in their book, "Civil War Canteens", Moss Publications, 1990, on page 131. The authors write that one pictured on the page courtesy of Wendall Lang, Jr. was found at Kennesaw Mountain, GA. They also go on to write that while rare, a considerable number of surviving examples exist, one pictured example shows a stopper with chain attachment, and was said to have had a brown wool cover. All pictured have a tin spout. That's about I can really tell you, as I said not a whole lot is known about their origin or distribution.

Regards;

Dan Houde
      Daniel A. Houde - Proprietor
      Orchard Hill Cutlery
      On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrchardHillCutlery

149th NYSV Co. B
      www.149thnewyork.com

PM Cobleskill Lodge #394 F.& A.M.
      A.A.S.R. Valley of Schenectady
      Oneonta Chapter #277 R.A.M.

"Uncal Sam has about as much care for his nefews as he has for his horses and mules" (Unidentified Union Soldier)

Comment

Dan, What are the chances of someone like you putting something like this into production?? I would be first in line to get mine issued to me!
        Joe Madden
        13th New Hampshire Vols.
        Co. E
        Unattached

Comment

Originally posted by 13thnhv
          Dan, What are the chances of someone like you putting something like this into production?? I would be first in line to get mine issued to me!

Joe,

Sent you a private message.

Regards;

Dan Houde
          Daniel A. Houde - Proprietor
          Orchard Hill Cutlery
          On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OrchardHillCutlery

149th NYSV Co. B
          www.149thnewyork.com

PM Cobleskill Lodge #394 F.& A.M.
          A.A.S.R. Valley of Schenectady
          Oneonta Chapter #277 R.A.M.

"Uncal Sam has about as much care for his nefews as he has for his horses and mules" (Unidentified Union Soldier)

Comment

Joe,
            Orchard hill already makes some of'em. Just thought to let you know.
            [SIZE=1]Your Obt. Servant,[/SIZE]
            Tyler Murphy
            6th N.C.S.T
            [I]"The Shirkers Mess"[/I]

Comment

Disregard my above post as a pard directed me in the right direction.
              [SIZE=1]Your Obt. Servant,[/SIZE]
              Tyler Murphy
              6th N.C.S.T
              [I]"The Shirkers Mess"[/I]

Comment

Working...
              X