This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield or Enfield

I'm wondering. Do you prefer Springfield or Enfield?

Josh Coughenour
    Muddy Creek Mess

Josh, this is NOT a topic for this forum - Mike Chapman

Hallo Master Coughenour: Please refer back to the private
    e-mail I sent you regarding postings. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. CHS, Moderator
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 04-19-2004, 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot name

Re: Springfield or Enfield

From a purely functional standpoint, it's been my experience that my '61 Springfield is far more prone to misfires than an Enfield.

Ron Myzie

Originally posted by Medic14
    I'm wondering. Do you prefer Springfield or Enfield?

Josh Coughenour
    Muddy Creek Mess

Comment

If the question was more specific it would be easier to answer. The answer might be different for different criteria: functionality, ease of carrying on long marches, accuracy of the reproduction, accuracy in live firing, ease of maintaining cleanliness. etc, etc.

Phil Campbell
      "have wagon, will travel"
      Phil Campbell

Comment

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
        From a purely functional standpoint, it's been my experience that my '61 Springfield is far more prone to misfires than an Enfield.

Ron Myzie
        I found the opposite to be true.

This should be in the sinks.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Enfield by far.Just my opinion and based on seeing trouble others have had with Springfields.
          Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
          "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

This would have been a more valid AC Forum question had it been posed along the lines of:

"Did Civil War soldiers have a preference for the "Springfield" or the "Enfield" rifle-musket?

And replies better along the lines of a sharing by David Fournier, taken from the unit history of the 1st-10th-29th Maine, found on Geoff Walden's website, for the 1st Maine:

“Oct. 21, 1861, muskets were delivered to the men and this furnished another excuse for a hearty growl from the 1st Mainers. ‘Had we not been
            promised a new blue uniform and Springfield muskets?’ To be sure we had the blue uniform and a good outfit in every way, ‘but look at these
            Enfield muskets.’ said they, ‘with their blued barrels and wood that no man can name!’ They were not a bad weapon, however, differing little from the Springfield, in actual efficiency, weight, length, and caliber, but far behind in point of workmanship...”

As posted, the question is not proper for this Forum for a variety of reasons, mostly since the question was posed as "you" having a preference, which reflects modern reenacting practice and thinking- where anyone can run out and buy any weapon they want- whether it is historically correct or researched and documented to the unit one portrays or not.
            Or, that CW soliders were generally "issued" weapons and usually did not obtain them as a matter of choice or selection.

At any rate, as posed, this is a very basic, beginner, so-called Farb or Mainstream "reenacting" question, better posed and answered on OTHER fora-and NOT a Authentic Campaigner/Authentic Civil War Living Historian based one suited for the AC Forum.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X