April 20, 1865, $100,000 Reward!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 20, 1865, $100,000 Reward!!!

I thought this might be appropriate to post for being 139 years to the day it was released...

Re: April 20, 1865, $100,000 Reward!!!

My ancestors were from Caroline County, VA, and I went back to the old stomping grounds last Summer to look around. Unfortunately, the US Army bought up a large portion of the county (translation= seized and paid for at below-market value) to build Fort AP Hill, so a good deal of where the Chapmans, Gravatts, Timberlakes, Saunders, Grays and Dishmans from my mother's side of the family once lived is now off-limits to civilians (one uncle was postmaster of a little spit of town inside the Fort before resigning that cushy job to join the "Caroline Dragoons" regiment of the 9th VA Cavalry).

Cutting across the fort is US 301 and just before it debouches out of the dense woods to Port Royal, there's a sign so small you might miss it saying that the house where John Wilkes Booth was cornered is in the median between the roads.

Like I said, the sign is so small that I missed it the first time, but driving back, I stopped and hiked the 40 yards into the meridian where the homestead's foundations are about all that's left. A sobering reminder of our country's history of political assassination. Thanks for posting this little bit of infamy.
    Bill Cross
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Bill - I had NO idea you had Caroline County roots! Next time you come down to the area, stop by my place in King George County.
      (hey Austin, you too!)

139 years this Friday, April 23, Booth and Herold visited my house, where they were fed dinner by Dr. Richard Stuart and his family, but Dr. Stuart, who had already been imprisoned twice for his Confederate medicine-smuggling activities, felt Booth was a bit too hot to handle as a houseguest, and sent him to his neighbor, William Lucas, a Free Person of Color who ran a wagon business and often transported spies and materiel to the Port Conway - Port Royal ferry.

The background is on my website. We're on the Surratt Society's Booth Escape Route tour and a National Register property. Why GO to events when you can live in one? :wink_smil

Y'all come
      [IMG]http://www.cleydael.org/photos/kcsignature.gif[/IMG]
      Kathryn Coombs
      [URL=http://www.agsas.org]Cleydael Farm[/URL]
      (former civilian moderator of this here place until captured by film industry... missing my hobby!!)

Comment

WOW Kathryne!!!! Thats some amazing stuff to say the least!!! I'll definately be checking your website. It was great to hear from you, and thanks for posting!! I'll be in touch!! Talk to you soon.
        Last edited by ; 04-21-2004, 09:38 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Comment

Working...
        X