Defarb 1816 Flintlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defarb 1816 Flintlock

I looked around but didn't see a particular thread on 1816s left in flint. I was curious if anyone has kept a Pedersoli in flintlock and defarbed the musket.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Re: Defarb 1816 Flintlock

My Pedersoli was mainly defarbed, but is still a work in progress.

Dan Stewart

Comment

What did you do or still need to do?
      Jason David

Peter Pelican
      36th Illinois Co. "B"
      Prodigal Sons Mess
      Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Hallo!

I did up to a Point.

Obviously the easy stuff like the Italian stampings, stock color, stock finish, removing the mirror bright "chrome' look, etc.
        Adding inspector's cartouches.

Next was reshaping the lockplate profile a bit. Followed by removing the lockplate markings and having them redone to be a different "make." Maybe a contractor.

Then going up the Ladder, I was plagued or cursed by the incorrect barrel band locations that are really hard to remedy. I decided to buy a $250 Dunlop M1816/22 ABW stock and "rehang" as many of the Pedersoli parts as could be used, and then replace the ones that could not with restored original parts.

I lost interest in it about a month after the black walnut "original" 95% drop-in replacement stock arrived as being more work than I felt like dealing with. (Basically the Italians took their M1777 "Charleville" and did just enough work to call it a 'M1816."

(As a result, the same issues for the repro "M1816" percussion conversion but it has more issues.)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I liked what Curt said. "I did up to a point." I think that pretty well sums up my efforts as well with defarbing the M1816 flintlock,. I was lucky in that I bought mine used. The previous owner had an original M1816/22 and using that as a model reshaped the Pedersoli stock a bit. He then used a used a period linseed oil mix (I have no idea was it was.) and finished the stock. It looks really good to me. I removed the modern barrel markings. It has stayed that way for a while. But I am planning on sending the front barrel band off and having a brass sight put on it. I will also send the sling swivels and have the screws replaced with rivets. And this will probably be all the work that I will do on it.

The Pedersoli M1816 certainly is not perfect. As Curt said the barrel band (I think the middle one.) is in the incorrect position. And there are other minor things you can do to the lockplate. Still I like mine a lot.

Dan Stewart
          WIG
          Old Guard

Comment

I would have to agree with you Dan, and what Curt said. The middle band is a little off, but when all things considered, it is no far off than most of the other reproduction muskets.

The nice thing about the reproduction flintlock 1816s is that they still can be bought for half of what an original commands in price. Goodluck finding one in original flintlock configuration for under $1800 in good shape. A re-conversion still fetches $1300, which is still under what you can buy a used reproduction for.
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I ran into a guy yesterday at a relic show that has a 1822 in mint condition, unconverted. He wanted $2500 obo. If anyone is interested, he runs a store called the Relic Shop in Lenoir City, TN. (865) 250-0894.
              Randy Gann
              In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families, Past and
              Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

I wanted to revive this thread since I have recently bought a Pedersoli and want to do a little work to it. Curt, do you, or anyone for that matter have any idea how easy it is to swap some of the parts? (Trigger guard, lock plate Etc.) How much, if any wood needs to be removed from these areas?

Essentially, I am trying to determine if I have the skill level needed to replace some of the hardware.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Hallo!

Sorry, no.

I abandoned ship with Italian musket intact and two Dunlop "M1816's" stocks unused.

Speaking out of ignorance in this case, but lean in on experience....

Since the Italian adding their M1816 is their mildly reworked and reused M1777 Charleville.... and generic increases in bulk or mass and even shape... I would say any chance of original or reproduction original (aka original "drop-in") would be smaller or none.

However, up to a point, with inletting skills when oversized, or cosmetic skills when undersized, there might be some wiggle room.

With Hindsight, I should have taken the time to research it when I still had an original and a repro. All I have now is a Dunlop replacement original stock or two.

All in all, IMHO, one can 'live' with some of the problems as they are not "magnified' when a repro gun is all together. But to me, the most noticeable thing is the lock (lock plate, hammer, frizzen, or in case of the percussion alteration the bolster).

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Shoot Dave at Lodgewood a message. He has been doing some spectacular work, and is learning some great skills from Novelty Ordinance.
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                    Old Northwest Volunteers
                    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I want to second what Dave said about shooting Dave at Lodgewood a message. He would do a great job of defarbing it for you. I do not think it would be easy to swap out parts with original parts. Tyler, I would advise you to embrace the M1816 as the good reproduction that it is. It will never be prefect but it is very good in my opinion. Doing an early war Confederate soldier carrying a military flint lock is a very specialized impression. Very few do it. I applaud your effort at doing it.

Dan Stewart
                      WIG - Old Guard

Comment

Thanks gents!
                        I reckon I will be in touch with Lodgewood.
                        Tyler Underwood
                        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                        X