CWDD: Packing Knapsack and Blanket Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWDD: Packing Knapsack and Blanket Roll

The Civil War Digital Digest has two videos now that are aimed right at the beginning campaigner. Helping to answer that often early question of just what to do with the gear and how to carry it.

Knapsack Packing Episode
    How do you pack a knapsack? This episode shows a good placement for many items. However, we recommend you split up some of the load with your messmates. We also review the names by which the government described the different part of the knapsack.

Make a Blanket Roll Episode
    Soldiers from both Southern and Northern armies can be seen in campaign images wearing blanket rolls. Hear the words of several veterans as they describe how they made the blanket roll and we demonstrate the process.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: CWDD: Packing Knapsack and Blanket Roll

Thanks for this great series. It isn't what you intended, but I may show these at my museum's Civil War program when I do "school of the soldier" activities for kids.
    Will Hickox

Comment

Will, thank you for the compliment and we are very happy to hear about the possibility of the videos helping to educate children at a museum. While the obvious intent is for living historians, novice and veteran, there is intent to provide knowledge and/or resources to anyone interested in our beloved era of time.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

I've used a couple of the camp cooking/ration videos to show my 8th grade students. They loved them. Looking forward to more great videos! They also help me out a lot!
        Derrick Lindow
        5th Tennessee/17th Kentucky

Descendent of
        Wilson Lee Chapman, 8th Kentucky Cavalry CS
        Isom Byrd, 6th Confederate Cavalry Battalion CS
        Sterman Wall, 35th Kentucky Infantry US
        Byrd Wall, 3rd Kentucky Cavalry US, died June 1862 near Corinth, MS
        John C. Smith, 2nd Tennessee Volunteer Infantry US
        James K. Mullins, Three Forks Battalion, Kentucky Home Guard

Comment

Working...
        X