Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegged Or Sewn

Boys-

I am hoping in the next year or so to finally retire my "sutler row" Federal brogans for some more authentic gunboats. When that happy day comes I already know I will be purchasing them from master craftsman Robert Serio so I don't have a question about authenticity per se but rather a question of durability. Given that both pegged and sewn were heavily issued both are correct but does one stand up better than the other for durability? Is there a difference or what has been your experience?
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Pegged Or Sewn

I have used both (both from Serio) and have not noticed any drastic difference in durability. I've heard some say that they've lost pegs from improperly drying wet shoes. Also, it has been said that the quartermaster department originally favored sewn over pegged for durability reasons, but allowed pegged in contracts because of the impossibility of supplying the volunteer army exclusively with sewn brogans.
    Paul McKee

Comment

Hallo!

In my experiences...

Prep and maintenance is a key to longevity or premature death.
      Pegged soles are less forgiving of neglect and abuse. But, sewn soles will last only as long as it takes wear to wear down through the thickness of the stitches. (Pegs are longer).

Wear is a more complicated issue too, as a larger diet of modern day parades on concrete can wear soles faster than on the grass or dirt of fields or woods...)

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

For several years some friends and I used to make monthly ten mile marches with weapons and equipment on the bridle path of the W&OD trail in northern Virginia (we had a permit). The trail was a combination of fine gravel and railroad ballast. During those years I found the pegged to wear better. My last pair of bootees for the trail were sewed, but I had them hobnailed. I became very much a fan of Mr. Serio's products.

I understand that sewed were considered superior at the start of the war and they certainly cost the soldier more. Later apparently they were machine sewed and that made a difference. Here's what the Chief Quartermaster, 14th A.C. had to say about it at the end of the war (ORs, Series III, Vol. 5, p. 417):

"...I would most respectfully draw the attention of the department to the utter uselessness of sewed boots and bootees for troops on the march. From an experience of four years in the quartermaster's department in the field, I do not hesitate to say and give it as my firm opinion, and have no doubt that the same is shared by every quartermaster in the Western army, that the same, where troops are on the march and cannot draw new ones every two weeks, are worthless; and so well is this understood by every one in this army that it is an impossibility to issue any sewed shoes when any peg shoes can be procured..."

In fairness to sewed brogans, two weeks marching with Sherman's army might easily convert to more than a hundred miles, and I've never got much more than twice that out of any pair I've had, pegged or hobnailed, before wanting them repaired.
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Excellent reference, Michael. Thank you. The western armies certainly put foot leather to the test campaigning over such long distances. Practical experience certainly trumps prewar quartermaster prejudices.
          Paul McKee

Comment

Gents-

Thanks for the replies and information. Tis much appreciated.
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

How can I contact Mr. Serio to get new brogans?
              John Schut (Sgt USMC)
              10th Tn Co D, WI

Comment

John-

Follow the link...

Louis Zenti

Comment

Working...
                X