Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armi Sport Enfield Stock

Gentlemen,

I recently came across an Armi Sport 1853 Enfield at an excellent price. It's been around some, but over all the condition is pretty good - and fixing the few issues will still be cheaper than buying new.

When I took the rifle apart, however, I noticed that there is a hole and about a half-inch long crack in the stock around where the mainspring sits. I've attached a couple of pictures.

To cut a potentially long post short: If this was your rifle would you spend the time/money in defarbing this stock or would you buy a new stock and start fresh?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160820_095349_365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	231984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160820_095157_733.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	231983
    Mike Boring

Re: Armi Sport Enfield Stock

I would probably have Mike Comer, Lodgewood, or a wood worker you might know make an attempt to fix it. It does not appear to be an expensive fix, so $30 or even $50 later, you'll have a repaired stock, that won't ever crack again (there at least if done properly), and then you'll have about an extra $200 or more in your pocket to pay for the entire defarb. Not to mention, you might have to get the parts properly fitted which might even drive up the cost more.

Shoot Dave at Lodgewood a picture of it on FB for a better gauge on cost, but I would just use the stock you have.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Sloppy job mortising the stock. As it appears in the picture, I wouldn't worry about it since the wood is so thin in that area that it adds nothing to the strength of the wood. The crack also appears to be in the paper thin area. Others opinions may be different.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

As shared above.... it is pretty much not worth bothering about.

Such thinness and cracks in the lock mortise, barrel channel, and ramrod channel are fairly common place on Italian reproductions. (As well as stress cracks caused by too hard tightening down of the lock screws.

If you do not want to leave it alone, you can pick up some Devcon type "5 Minute" two part epoxy for not much money. Using a sticky tape like Gorilla brand or "duck" (sic duct) tape try to tape the hole from underneath. If you have kids or family members around with Play Doh, it works too to build a block or "dam" to keep epoxy from flowing where you do not want it.
        With the hole closed, lay in a little epoxy, and kiss it for a second or two with a hair dryer to liquefy it and cause it to flow better into the crack.

And that is that. Well, remove the tape or clay the next day. :)

There is a more professional way to make cracked stock repairs such as using Brownell's Accu-Glass bedding epoxy which makes a repair stronger than the surrounding wood... but the added expense and on-line order may not be "worth" the difference here between "Devcon" 5 or 20 minute type epoxy.

Or you can pay someone else to do the work for you and add two way shipping of an oversized box to the cost.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Honestly, this is not uncommon with the Armi Sport reproduction Enfield stocks. Curt suggested a very sensible and low cost approach to rebuild the area in question if it bothers you. However, to answer your question, no it should not be deal-breaker if the lock and barrel are sound otherwise and the gun is available for a good price.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen.

I appreciate the advice and information!
            Mike Boring

Comment

Working...
            X