This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glampaigner??

I recently saw a meme on FaceBook that mentioned "glampaigners" and it is a new one on me. I know farb, but had not heard the glampaigner term before and so I Googled it and it brought me here to a mention of it on a 2010 thread but still I don't see the definition. Can anyone give me a definition of it and how it differs from farbs?
    Todd Watts

Re: Glampaigner??

A "glampaigner" is a fellow that has high quality material goods, knows the terminology, can drop the names, but the only battle he is a hero of is the Battle of Sutler Row. He glams and shams on sutler row in his finery for all to ooh and ahh and have his picture taken by the spectators. He specializes in posing for images, may change into different uniforms throughout the day and generally avoids actually participating in the event. Later he'll come home and tell everyone how cool the event was and what a blast he had. He may abandon the event quickly in the event of bad weather or pizza, whichever comes first. See also - poser.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

It's also a variant of hardkewl. The names change, but the conduct remains the same.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hardcore diva but who doesn't like getting their picture taken with all the ladies?
        Kenny Pavia
        24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
          A "glampaigner" is a fellow that has high quality material goods, knows the terminology, can drop the names, but the only battle he is a hero of is the Battle of Sutler Row. He glams and shams on sutler row in his finery for all to ooh and ahh and have his picture taken by the spectators. He specializes in posing for images, may change into different uniforms throughout the day and generally avoids actually participating in the event. Later he'll come home and tell everyone how cool the event was and what a blast he had. He may abandon the event quickly in the event of bad weather or pizza, whichever comes first. See also - poser.
          That's it!
          Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

I don't see hardkewls the same as glampaigners. Hardkewls tend to be more about purchasing trendy items and name dropping and showing off purchases, but are found in the field as well as on sutler row. Lots of times they are the guy around the fire that can't stop talking about gear while everyone else is trying to enjoy "the moment".
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

I agree with this, and add that my experience with hardkewls indicates that they are usually more adept at playing both sides of the fence, cozying up to the mainstreamers and denouncing authentics as "stitch counters or snobs", then denouncing mainstreamers as "farbs". Lukewarm! See Revelation 3:16.

Glampaigners are something of a mystery to me, as the Authentic community in the PNW is pretty small and most people with good kits flock together. But we have had our fair share of hardkewls.

Dan Limb
              One of THEM!
              Dan Limb
              One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
              James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

Thanks. I've heard the hard-kewl named and figured that out but he glampaigner was new to me. We need a dictionary of catch phrases and monikers for this hobby!
                Todd Watts

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                  I second that, Mr. Smotherman. ;)
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hallo!

Besides...

It is the Nature of the Beast, er Hobby, that we reinvent our jargon every so often. Especially our terms and labels.

Right now, I am still struggling with "dank" and "salty."

:)

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I try to remember positive things about the hobby. All I know is years back, standing on a muddy road down in Louisana in a cold rain, I saw neither glam campaigners or hard kewls. I did see some tough ass men who had endured 4 days of crap. Good to see some of those men are still around & posting.
                      Tom Yearby
                      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I've stood in several cold rains on muddy roads in The Land That Time Forgot. I've been thinking about going back on my own terms in the next year or so.

Hope all is well with you, Tom.
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

standing in the cold rain...brings back active duty memories....Rain? What's that? Cali isn't getting good rains, and...the season "shuts down" for winter...

Mr. Martin, please remember to sign all of your posts with your first and last name as per the rules that were agreed to upon registering. To prevent further infractions and friendly reminders from the pesky mods, you can set up an auto signature by clicking "Settings" in the upper right corner of the screen. In the new window scroll down and on the lower left click "edit signature" I hope this helps, and I certainly appreciate your cooperation! -Tyler Underwood
                          Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 09-14-2016, 04:29 PM.
                          Campaigner stuck in mainstream...

Comment

Working...
                          X