Cowardly wagon dogs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowardly wagon dogs??

We, who are often responsible for transporting your rations and supplies, are at times accused of being shirkers and cowards. I'm sure this was also true during the CW, but every once in a while you run across a tale of teamsters doing more than just driving their wagons and skulking in camp.

From the ORs concerning operations near Corinth, Mississippi:

CAMP UNION BRIGADE, October 15, 1862.
    Sunday evening, October 5, about 3 o'clock, a party of guerrillas, numbering about 100, made an attack upon the camp of the Union Brigade. There was at the time a number of convalescents and teamsters in camp. I arrived in camp just as the news came that they were coming. We rallied about 18 men and repulsed them, killing 4 and wounding 3 others. Our loss was 1 teamster, wounded in the thigh severely.
    Respectfully,
    H. F. OLDS,
    Regimental Wagon-Master, Union Brigade.

------------------------------------------------------

Phil Campbell
    Have wagon, will travel
    Phil Campbell

Re: Cowardly wagon dogs??

You're quite right, Teamsters all too often found themselves fighting for their lives when faced w/ guerillas. Contrary to popular belief many refused to surrender at the site of stars and bars... in fact sometimes the man waving that flag might find himself the recepient of a minnie ball politely added to his rations.

I've found reference to teamsters in the thick of it at Shiloh, Stones River at least one of the engagements around Atlanta and at Chickamauga as well.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Re: Cowardly wagon dogs??

One of my favorite books is entitled "Butler and his Cavalry" and mentions the services of the teamsters quite often. BHC was compiled by 6th SCC veteran UR Brooks and is an amalgamation of post-war unit histories, reminencises, and comical stories of interest as they relate to six out of the seven SC cavalry regiments. One story relates how, at the Battle of Trevillian Station, one teamster 'team' rode at a full gallop through a hail of lead to drop ammunition boxes along the line. The men were almost out of ammunition with Sheridan breathing down their necks and this one team truly saved the day. Other stories relate how the dismounted men of Butler's Brigade, whose horses had expired in one manner or another, often rode in the wagons during the campaigns of 1864. Don't let anyone fool you, teamster service was not easy, and much like our modern military transport people today, they could quickly find themselves in the thick of it.

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

Working...
      X