1863 Personal add

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 Personal add

As I was doing some research on the 41st Illinois Infantry, I came across this add in the Dewitt County Public (newspaper) printed in Clinton, Illinois on November 26, 1863. I don't know if it interests anyone else, but I thought that it was neat.

" Ten of U.S. Grant's gay and dashing young soldiers of DeWitt County, who have fought bold and died over one hundred times, wish to open a correspondence with as many of the ladies as wish to reply. Object; fun love and its consequences. All correspondence promptly answered.
    Address, any of the following names,

Dick Clipper, Back woodsman,
    Dixie Boy, Tom Williams,
    Southern Cruiser, Pet boy,
    Synonymus, Badger,
    Sunny South, Cabin boy

Compay "C" 41st ILL. Vol.
    Natchez Miss.
    N.B. All old widows and old maids over 99 need not reply. "

Isn't this a hoot? Just goes to show you that these men were just average young men not unike young soldiers today.

Girty

Re: 1863 Personal add

Nice to see they have standards, with a cut off age of 99 and all.

Comment

Greetings,

Yup, I see these all the time in the newspapers. Some of them are real howlers. With your ad in mind, here is a letter I found in the Indianapolis "Daily Journal," 17 August 1864. This was reportedly written by 1st Lt. Ebenezer V. Wilson, Company H, 39th WVI. According to the "Civil War Research Database." Wilson was from Menekaunne, WI, mustered in 1 June 1864, and survived the war. Maybe someone has more information about him? I have slightly edited this for ease of reading.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger

A SOLDIER'S COUNSEL TO YOUNG LADIES.

The following curious epistle appears in the Chicago Tribune:

MEMPHIS, TENN., July 28, 1864

To Eight Young Ladies, residing in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan:

Ladies, permit me to address a few lines to you through the Tribune, in regard to "correspondence" with soldiers and officers serving in the army of our country. We, the officers and soldiers of the army, need and deserve the sympathy and counsel of our mothers, wives, sisters and lady acquaintances from the dear homes we have left behind. From these letters are always acceptable, are read with a deep interest, and there is always a deep feeling of respect for the writers, and the dear old homes whence they come. There is no levity or expression of vulgar thought, or lewd illusions [sic] to the writers of them--holy home thoughts of the dear ones we love so well; and often have I seen the bronzed face of the veteran, as well as the fair cheek of the young recruit, flushed with manly pride, or over them flowing tears that spoke louder than words of true hearts and brave men.

Not so when your cold, insipid and stale letters are received. There is generally a shout of derision from many voices as your carefully written nonsense is retailed out to a corporal, servant, private, or may be a negro servant; and could your [sic] hear the vulgar wit and coarse expressions over your letter, and at your expense, I think, ladies, you would answer no more, 'Wanted, correspondence for mutual cultivation.'

I trust, ladies, that this article may be of service to you, inasmuch as it will urge you to write only to those whom you know; and you may put it down for a fact that any soldier or officer advertising for lady correspondence, does so for no honorable or noble purpose. Ninety-nine out of every one hundred letters received by officers or soldiers are treated with contempt and derision. Thus you see that your tender effusions, gushing out flowery and sentimental platitudes, are used to your disadvantage and injury.

In many cases the officer or soldier takes pains to ascertain your true name, and then your letters not only reflect to your disadvantage, but bring disgrace to your friends. I know of one young lady who is the laughing stock of the whole regiment, and many of them are or were friends and neighbors of hers not two years ago. Her fair name and character are blighted, and one [who] has counted on her being something more than a friend to him in the future[,] has cast her aside, and her letters of truth to him are unanswered or returned unopened.

Ladies, good bye. Learn from this to do better. Write to your known and tried soldier friends and relatives, and none other.

"I am, ladies, your friend and well-wisher,

"E. V. Wilson,
      "1st Lieut. Co. H, 39th reg't Wis. Vols.
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Girty
        Dick Clipper, Back woodsman,
        Dixie Boy, Tom Williams,
        Southern Cruiser, Pet boy,
        Synonymus, Badger,
        Sunny South, Cabin boy

Compay "C" 41st ILL. Vol.
        Natchez Miss.
        N.B. All old widows and old maids over 99 need not reply. "

Isn't this a hoot? Just goes to show you that these men were just average young men not unike young soldiers today.

Girty
        Sounds like some good screen names to use
        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Working...
        X