November 30, 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 30, 1864

I am wondering this afternoon, as I sit safely in my office, what thoughts ran through my great-grandfather's mind 152 years ago as he looked north across the fields south of Franklin, Tennessee. He was only 17 but was already a combat veteran, having fought at Port Gibson, Champion Hill, the Siege of Vicksburg, and the Atlanta Campaign. He had to have known that someone high up in his chain-of-command was making a terrible mistake.

His regiment, the 20th Alabama Infantry of Pettus' Brigade, actually assaulted after dark, carrying torches to light their way ahead. Probably served to make pretty good targets of themselves as well...

He survived, as did his father and brother.

Just the rambling musings of an old man who thinks he hears musket fire way off in the distance...
    Mike Bryant
    8th Missouri Infantry US
    Vicksburg, Mississippi

Re: November 30, 1864

While I sat in my office in Nashville, I had the exact same thought about my Gr gr uncles who were with the 11th TN Inf. and one of which was killed near the Carter House.

Cannot imagine how much courage it took to march those two miles from Winstead Hill to the entrenched lines.................. Amazing!

Thanks for the post as I wondered if anyone else was thinking about it.
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

The real impact hits you at the cemetery at Carnton. Stone after stone in formation and you realize that even though the battle lasted several hours the lion's share of the carnage was about 45 minutes. These weren't the innocents of Shiloh, these men knew exactly what was coming and went forward anyway.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I visited Franklin a few years back and walked the two miles from Winstead Hill to the Carter House. I was thinking the same thing as I was walking that was mentioned earlier--the courgae this took to walk that path 152 years ago knowing what was ahead of them is amazing. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the soldiers on both sides of this battle. What a vicious fight this was.

Richard O'Flaherty
        Richard O'Flaherty
        Private Daggett

Comment

I can tell you all that myself and many of my mess mates thought long and hard about what took place at Franklin 152 years ago today. Many of us shared different eyewitness accounts throughout the day and I can honestly say that it is quite difficult for me to read through some of them without getting choked up.
          I thought a lot about my ancestor in the 44th Missouri and what he experienced as the 20th TN. smashed into their lines.
          Tyler Underwood
          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
          Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Sitting in the shop on that day, I wondered the same thing, and I can't think of any possible thoughts that would be acceptable to the rules of this forum.

I'm sure those 4 letter words came flowing like a river from Franklin to their next abode in Camp Douglas.
            Tyler Gibson
            The Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
            X