New Haversack - accelerate weather wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haversack - accelerate weather wear

Any suggestions? Got a new one and would like to get a worn and weathered look over the winter break.

thanks!

John, let me first start by saying in the almost 9.5 years you have been a member of the forum you have had ample time to review the AC rules. The rules that you agreed to upon joining. Number 1, is that all posts are signed with your first and last name. I would suggest creating an auto signature to prevent further infractions.
    Secondly, break in the haversack in the field. The original cast received new haversacks all the time and at any given time a well campaigned soldier just might be wearing or using a new item. But if you must break one in my best recommendation would be the obvious. Use it. -Tyler Underwood
    Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 12-30-2016, 06:23 PM.
    John Lutes
    21st OH / 20th SC

Re: New Haversack - accelerate weather wear

I feel as though two or three events will achieve those results. Federals were in rags at times in 1862, and then donning brand new uniforms when they got to draw clothing. Same way the Army works now- you may have a brand new top that appears to be a completely different shade and pattern than the pants.

Always fun to see the puzzled looks from the Joes, then dodge the 1st Sgt.
    Last edited by MarkTK36thIL; 12-31-2016, 12:27 PM.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Maybe more than 2-3 events, but Mark is correct equipment was reissued, rags one day and brand new the next. His point about variations also makes sense, the government doesn't now and didn't then care if the hue of our uniform matched or if your cap was made by the same contractor as your file partner's. The default seems to be "3 months" worth of use on campaign for just about everything. Instead of artificially distressing it just take it out and use it, at say the Advance on Ft Henry event. Great event to have new equipment.
      Rob Warren
      GySgt 2d MarDiv

Comment

Pards, much appreciated. After 20 + years of wear and repair, my gear needed replacement including the haversack and a few new slouch hats. Given the focus some events have on certain "looks", thought I'd see if there were any tried and true tricks to accelerate break-in. As you shared, the reality is that there was new gear here and there and any event should reflect somewhat of a diverse look.

thanks again
        John Lutes
        21st OH / 20th SC

Comment

Toss some cooked bacon inside of it and drag it through the dirt or mud.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
          X