Confederate Currency Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Currency Questions

I would like to start collecting Confederate currency in various denominations. After viewing several ads on E-Bay, I see some bills selling for as little as $8.00. Other bills going for $50.00 or even $150.00. Aside from their physical condition, why do some bills go for significantly more than others? What does the "T number" designate? Ads say rare T55, or T61, etc., etc. Any info is appreciated.
    Thomas Smith

Re: Confederate Currency Questions

You might be better served for info on a coin/currency collectors forum. This is not an area I have knowledge outside very much buyer beware.

I have read and been told many times over that fake CS currency is abundant. Possible that even someone believes they have the genuine item when they do not. To add
    To that there was counterfeit CS currency during the war. It could be purchased through ads in papers. I have read soldier accounts talking about passing this as money to civilians for purchases. So, it could be an original fake which is a whole other collecting area!
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

From about 30 seconds of googling. The "T Number" refers to the distinct changes in type, color and design of bills issued by CS Gov't. This can be used to date the notes, and have some degree of certainty as to when it was minted.

further reading....
      Friedberg, Arthur L.; Friedberg, Ira S. (2013). Paper Money of the United States: A Complete Illustrated Guide With Valuations (20th ed.). Coin & Currency Institute. ISBN 978-0-87184-520-7.
      Tyler Gibson
      The Independent Rifles

Comment

Thanks for the info gents. :)
        Thomas Smith

Comment

Working...
        X