Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Jumped from Mainstream to Campaign Reenacting (And Never Looked Back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Jumped from Mainstream to Campaign Reenacting (And Never Looked Back)

We all have a story of how we got our start in the hobby. With the exception of a few folks, I would imagine that for many of you, you made the decision to start authentic reenacting after spending a few years doing mainstream events like I did.

I started the hobby in 1994 with a mainstream federal unit in Mansfield, Ohio. My first event was “The Battle of Didnthappensville” Being fourteen years old; my options were pretty limited as to what events I could attend and the gear I could acquire. I didn’t meet the age requirement to carry a rifle and my total lack of any musical talent prohibited me from portraying a musician of any sort, so not knowing any better, I had to enthusiastically settle for portraying a hospital steward.

Four months after my first event I attended the 130th Franklin and as a new guy who had only seen what I thought was a large reenactment in Jackson, Michigan I was in total awe. The massive camps, long battle lines, the cold and mud made for an unforgettable experience.

While there I did take notice of a large group of guys who had no tents, were sleeping on top of the frozen mud and carried everything on their backs. I asked some of the old fellows in my unit who they were and what they were doing. Of course I was told that they were campaigners and they were a bunch of elitists who counted their stitches, peed on their buttons and crapped on their shoes and shunned everyone who did not reenact like they did. My first thought was why anyone would want to make themselves miserable sleeping out there like that when they could be comfortable like me with a whole A frame tent to myself and a warm sleeping bag.

Despite what I was told, this had a profound impact on me as it made me want to research the average soldier a little more and I began to realize that I wasn’t doing it how “they” did. So as started to do more digging, I slowly began to improve my impression. One of the first things I did was stop bringing my A frame and started living out of knapsack, which also happened to be the most liberating aspect of making the change. I began to eat out of my haversack; carrying hard crackers, seasonal vegetables and salt pork or bacon eliminated my need for bringing food in a cooler. I shortened the strap on haversack and started replacing gear. I still remember my first three purchases too! A bran spanking new army hat from Tim Bender, a blanket from Matt Woodburn and a leather canteen strap from EJ Thomas.

As I began to make these changes I was still stuck in a rut with events. I was still going to the same meet and great powder burners in Ohio every year and then making that one trip to the yearly mega event. For six years I wanted something more out of the hobby. Six years of the same events at the same locations. That is until one of my mess mates proposed we try an immersive event. He had done all of the leg work and found us a home in Matt Caldwell’s company for the weekend and got the impression guidelines to portray the 13th OVI at TAG.

The excitement was overwhelming! Finely I was afforded the opportunity to participate in a real immersive event and get the full experience of what it was like to be a federal soldier. We spent weeks prepping our kits and getting the last few items we needed to round out our impressions to meet the guidelines. At last we were on our way to Land between the Lakes, we drove all night to get there and when we arrived, were completely exhausted. The exhaustion however was completely replaced by fear. Fear of what all these “hardcore” guys were going to think of me and my impression. Nervously, I began to head to registration and get signed in. Justin Runyon, who was our Orderly Sgt. was there rounding up his people told us that he would be around in a little while to inspect our kits and make sure we don’t have anything modern with us. I had made it over the first obstacle! Now, if I can just make it through inspection I was in. For what seemed an eternity we waited; and sure enough here came Justin walking over towards us. Along the way he stopped at a car beside us to check them out. As he started going through one of their knapsacks he pulled out a bottle of orange Gatorade and they all began to laugh about it. It was then I realized that these guys were just like me and liked to joke around and have fun. But when it came to actually being in the field they put their game faces on and carried out their duties. He continued towards us and after having witnessed the aforementioned shenanigans, I was much more at ease with everything.

Needless to say we made it through the inspection and had one of the best reenacting experiences I have ever had. Here I met lots of folks who I am now very proud to call my friends and Brothers. After TAG we continued to do the same events back in Ohio but chose to fall in with the adjunct AOP battalion to get our authentic fix. (Work had pretty much limited what I could afford to do and what time I could get off.) Shortly after I decided to enlist for real and my travels took me far from home and the hobby. It did afford plenty of opportunities to visit WWII sites though.

After I made it back to the east coast I found myself living in South Carolina and had the itch to get back into the wool just in time for the start of the 150th cycle. So I sent some emails, got involved and the rest is now a part of history.

So what does my reenacting life story have to do with anything and why should it matter to anyone who is going to take the time to actually read this? It matters because I believe there are some that may have the same fear I did. Contrary to what some have been told, we are not stitch Nazis. It does make me cringe when I see enough friction primers hanging from a kepi that a suit of chainmail could be made from it. Campaigners, are actually a very welcoming group, we/I just have a lower tolerance for the BS. If people come with a positive attitude and a willingness to improve then by all means grab your stuff and let’s go!

My story matters because it proves that if you don’t improve, you become stagnant. When you become stagnant, you eventually wither away and die. There are folks I know out there that have been doing this hobby twice as long as me, but I can tell you in twenty three years, I have seen more mainstream folks get out of the hobby entirely because they were burnt out. Only two other people from my original unit are still active and they both made the transition into the authentic side of the hobby. The rest got tired of doing the same thing but were too afraid or too close minded to venture outside of their comfort zone.

I realize that this is going to strike a nerve with a lot of folks, but here goes. Eight months ago a thread was started on another forum questioning the future of our hobby. Almost daily for eight months a post was made about apocalypse of Civil War reenacting but not one real post that provided a solution to this mythical end. Why? Why was it all doom, gloom and excuse after excuse? Has anyone attempted to make a contribution to the betterment of the hobby? To paraphrase President Kennedy, ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do for the hobby.

This is OUR hobby and is what we make of it. Only you and I can ensure that it continues to thrive. The path to the future is through improvement. Who is going to take the next step? Who is going to march down the path of improvement with me and tell me your story?
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 12-10-2019, 09:13 PM.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Why I jumped from Mainstream to Campaign Reenacting (And Never Looked Back)

It would be fantastic to get some more folks to share their stories as well.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
      It would be fantastic to get some more folks to share their stories as well.
      I'm not a campaigner, but I want to be. And I have been reading memoirs, reading the inspection reports of the forts in the area, reading letters and reports, looking at photographs, and I know there is so much more out there that I should read. It helps that there is a bit of a connection between my career and this hobby.

What set me on this path was an interest in living history that developed when I worked at an outdoor museum a while ago, and we did 1870s frontier events that were extremely popular with kids and families. After I settled into my new job in my current state, I found my old SUVCW and SCV uniforms, and decided to get back in. And naturally, my uniform was a cheap mainstream uniform that had barely fit when I returned to Civil War activities, because I was a teenager when I joined the SUVCW and SCV. When I started attending events in New Mexico, I apologized for uniform problems that even I recognized at the time. Instead of offering advise on improving my impression, others just excused my appearance and said "that's okay". But that isn't okay, not if I want to give people a good educational experience that is accurate. I wouldn't put together an exhibit on a specific time period or specific subject, and just throw in anything shiny and pretty that I find in collections storage. And so, I have been researching ever since.
      Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
      Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post
        I wouldn't put together an exhibit on a specific time period or specific subject, and just throw in anything shiny and pretty that I find in collections storage. And so, I have been researching ever since.
        Well said!
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
          One of the first things I did was stop bringing my A frame and started living out of knapsack, which also happened to be the most liberating aspect of making the change.
          This right here resonates with me so much! Around 1993 my father and I got into the hobby and, like so many newbies, we basically bought everything but the kitchen sink. After couple years, however, we had the purely practical epiphany that by reducing our kit to just what we could carry on our backs pre- and post-event logistics were so much simplified. When I started attending events on my own in college, I took the concept and ran with it...
          Dave Schwartz,
          Company B, 79th NY Vols.
          (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Much like you Tyler, my initiation to the hobby began during the heyday of the '90s into the mainstream (while in college on the East Coast). While the 135th Antietam was impressive for scale, I found the associated preservation march more notable. Battles were fun and all, but I was trying to cast myself into 19th century soldiering, and marching through rural Maryland in the heat seemed a more legit undertaking. I graduated college and life intervened. I also witnessed actual war, which tempered my interest in "playing" war.

After seeing some campaigners doing LH on the Gettysburg battlefield years later, I began to toy with the idea of getting back in. I also saw mainstream units - with their armada of canvas - doing LH that day. The campaigners LOOKED like Civil War soldiers. "Confederates in the Attic" be damned, if I was going to do this again, I was willing to pee on my buttons if it meant doing it right! I started with Olustee 150th (campaigner adjunct); by Picketts Mill 150th I was hooked.
            All the Best,

[B]Brian Graves[/B]
            Member, "The Lost Towney" Mess
            Co. A, Fourth U.S. Inf'y & Co. K, 1st Washington Territory Vols.
            Fort Steilacoom, Washington Territory
            One of THEM!

Comment

TAG was my first journey into the authentic side of things also. I was on the CS side. Great memories of a great event.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing this story. I've been with a unit that I consider "progressive" since I started in the hobby. But sometimes when I look at the EBUFU or adjunct events I worry that I won't be good enough (for whatever reason). Your story about the Gatorade bottle is exactly the kind of illustration of the hobby. It's not about arguing our impressions, but pushing ourselves to do more research and present ourselves the best we can in the field. If we don't do it for ourselves, we should do it for our pards.

Thanks again. See you in the field.
                -Greg Jones
                Greg Jones
                63rd PVI, Co. C

Comment

The timing of this post for me couldn't have been better. I am going to my first "campaigner" event this following week, and I was extremely nervous. I was worried I might not be "good enough" or not be accepted. Reading your experience has made me feel more confident in myself, and I am no longer as nervous about going to this campaigner event.
                  Ben Beckman

17 and been a living historian for 2 years. New to this side of the hobby, always looking for events to go to.

Comment

I was fortunate that my first unit was more progressive than mainstream - no wall tents, women and children, etc - and except for a cooler in a wooden box early on I packed light. The tipping point for me was my first WIG event, a LH at Shiloh where I was introduced to the concept of the twenty four hour a day event. No 'drill at 8 then you're free to go till noon when we form up for the battle and then the rest of the night you're off', you were under command the whole event.

On a separate but obviously related topic I'm still surprised at the ongoing urban legend of the evil hardcores that will make fun of you if your cartridge box isn't good enough. I bought into Marse Craddock's philosophy that the most important piece of equipment was a good attitude and that's overwhelmingly what I've experienced. Admittedly I haven't been off the couch in a while and everybody might have gotten elitist but I seriously doubt it.
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG
                    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
                      I bought into Marse Craddock's philosophy that the most important piece of equipment was a good attitude and that's overwhelmingly what I've experienced. Admittedly I haven't been off the couch in a while and everybody might have gotten elitist but I seriously doubt it.
                      I agree 100% John!

I stated in my story that I had a good hat, blanket and canteen strap and by the time TAG rolled around I had upgraded to a nice Daley contract shirt, drawers and a Jim Ruley fatigue blouse. What I failed to mention is that I was carrying a Regimental Quartermaster knapsack, a mish mash of accouterments from C&D J. and Old Sutler John. My entire kit wasn't perfect but I had went with the right attitude and was ready to be a soldier for the entire weekend.

Mike, I still remember you fellers coming across that open field Saturday afternoon and then pouring across that ditch from every side. My moment (and it came as a huge shock to me) was when the commands started ringing out to "fix bayonets" I had thought that things just got real!

Ben, glad this story was able to put your mind at ease. That was exactly my intentions!

Brian, glad your first time back was with SCAR. Look forward to seeing you again buddy!
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Like David Schwartz who is also a fellow member of my company. This post resonates with me greatly as well! I started reenacting back in 91 when I was 11 years old and my dad and I being in California only had a limited knowledge of what a federal Soldier should look like and act like. But later on and after being bored and after seeing other members like you had who saw others sleeping outside on their own and living out of their packs, I decided to do research and find out what I needed to do to improve my impression. 26 years later I'm still working on my impression and still doing research. I don't think it will ever end, and I think that's where this hobby will thrive. Because we will always be researching and improving ourselves. Anyways that's my two cents. Glad you posted your experience and hope we'll see you at Wauhatchie.

Cheers,
                        David Moffat
                        LT 79th New York Co. B
                        (Highland Guards)
                        David Moffat

Comment

I knew I wanted to be the best at what I did in the Civil War living historian community. I started off with slightly better than sutler row stuff and imroved it as time went on. Just wearing your gear correctly is a start, but it starts with the correct mindset. Do you want to be the kid who gets a C in class or the A?
                          Jason David

Peter Pelican
                          36th Illinois Co. "B"
                          Prodigal Sons Mess
                          Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

As with most others, I got my start in a very mainstream unit, and gradually became a part of a Georgia Volunteer Battalion company. When I started college and started doing real research, I looked at original photographs and compared those photographs to my own impression. I saw that I did not look like a real soldier of the time period, and I didn't like the idea that I wasn't "doing it right". I met a guy in the Savannah area that was fairly progressive and introduced me to the dark side of the hobby: campaigning. The first event I "campaigned" at was 150th Chickamauga. While I was still in a GVB company, myself and a messmate went off and did our own thing in the woods. We had a blanket and a painted cloth each. As the rain began to come down, I recalled some article I had read on this weird forum called the Authentic Campaigner, and chose a tree to lie under that had very low branches and leaves. I put my blanket and oil cloth around my shoulders, nibbled on rations, and embraced the suck. I also lost the soles of my shoes to muddy road suction that weekend and traveled barefoot Saturday evening and all of Sunday. My company thought I was crazy staying outside in the rain when there were perfectly good tents nearby, but if I wanted to drink beer, I would have stayed at college that weekend. Even though I was miserable as heck, I had found a newfound respect for the common soldier that I never would have gotten anywhere else. Now, I always attend events with a campaigning units. Campaigning is challenging, rigorous, even testing at times, but it's also a great deal of fun as you do things that you would never otherwise get to do as a mainstreamer. As a side note, I bought the vast majority of my campaigner gear while I was in college and on a college budget. Being a campaigner doesn't cost misery and a thousand dollars. All it takes is patient budgeting, some monetary sense, and only buying what you can carry with you.
                            Dillan Lee
                            "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
                            Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Comment

Re: Why I Jumped from Mainstream to Campaign Reenacting (And Never Looked Back)

Would love to hear from others who have taken the plunge. What made you switch?
                              ERIC TIPTON
                              Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X