WTK Commonality between Miroku 1863 Type II and 1861 Springfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTK Commonality between Miroku 1863 Type II and 1861 Springfields

For those familiar with the Navy Arms/Dixie Miroku 1861 and 1863 Type II Springfields... Will an 1861 barrel/bolster drop into the 1863 stock? Just curious if the mortise for the lock and bolster is the same... did they use the same stock for both models... given the habit of repro makers finding efficiencies in production. That said, I cant for the life of me recall of original stocks were interchangeable at least dimensionally betwen '61 and '63s ('63 barrel bands not withstanding...)

Regards

Ben
    Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Re: WTK Commonality between Miroku 1863 Type II and 1861 Springfields

Hallo!

Way Back in ye Olden Daze.... I had the idea of taking a Miroku "M1864" and swapping out some parts like a humpless Richmond lockplate and a Mike Yeck M1861 barrel to make a late 1864 or early 1865 Richmond recycle/repair/reissue.

Whether it was the Yeck '61 drop-in repro original, OR the variances of the Miroku "M1864," the bolster and breech would not work together.

IMHO, you may have a hard time finding a lad who has both a Miroku (Dixie) M1861 or M1864, or a Miroku (Navy Arms) M1864.

According to Springfield Armory, the barrels on the M1861, M1863, and M1864 were interchangeable. But since commercial reproductions are not the same as originals, it will take two Miroku guns to say.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I may be that lad shortly, depending on what I learn.
      Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
        Hallo!

Way Back in ye Olden Daze.... I had the idea of taking a Miroku "M1864" and swapping out some parts like a humpless Richmond lockplate and a Mike Yeck M1861 barrel to make a late 1864 or early 1865 Richmond recycle/repair/reissue.

Whether it was the Yeck '61 drop-in repro original, OR the variances of the Miroku "M1864," the bolster and breech would not work together.

IMHO, you may have a hard time finding a lad who has both a Miroku (Dixie) M1861 or M1864, or a Miroku (Navy Arms) M1864.

According to Springfield Armory, the barrels on the M1861, M1863, and M1864 were interchangeable. But since commercial reproductions are not the same as originals, it will take two Miroku guns to say.

Curt

Maybe being one of the few that does have BOTH the Miroku m1861 AND the Navy Arms m1863 (Type II)??? I also have a m1861 Yeck, I can say for a fact, they are NOT interchangeable in bolster or breech . Tried years ago.

writing this makes me feel old!:confused_
        Last edited by weed; 05-08-2017, 08:54 PM.
        John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
        The Hard Head Mess
        The Old Northwest Volunteers
        5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
        Civil War Battlefield Preservation
        Sons of American Revolution
        Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
        Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
        Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Sorry. Coming a little late to this party...but nope on the parts interchanging except by accident. I think there was quite a period of time elapsed between the US 1864 Mirokus and the US 1861s which came later. I hate to say it because the Miroku reproductions were such high quality, but you are lucky if they interchange with the same model (for example US 1861 to another US 1861) much less other models from a generation earlier.

Being that my experience with the Miroku US 1861 was primarily those made from Dixie Gun Work kits, in my experience there was a bit of fitting required when putting them together. I think I built five or six over the years. I am not sure any two of them were identical, but you could "fit" the parts with a little filing or grinding. I know I fit an original SN & WTC lock into one of them (wish I had that one back). I also remember having to carve out a little depression in the bottom of the stock mortise on some of them for the Miroku factory lock to cycle properly.

I also have a Yeck US 1861, or at least a Yeck barrel with other US 1861 and some repro parts. I think some of the repro parts are from a Miroku, but can't be 100% sure and Mike Yeck is no longer around to ask. They sure look like it.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-27-2017, 12:04 PM.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
            Sorry. Coming a little late to this party...but nope on the parts interchanging except by accident. I think there was quite a period of time elapsed between the US 1864 Mirokus and the US 1861s which came later. I hate to say it because the Miroku reproductions were such high quality, but you are lucky if they interchange with the same model (for example US 1861 to another US 1861) much less other models from a generation earlier.

Being that my experience with the Miroku US 1861 was primarily those made from Dixie Gun Work kits, in my experience there was a bit of fitting required when putting them together. I think I built five or six over the years. I am not sure any two of them were identical, but you could "fit" the parts with a little filing or grinding. I know I fit an original SN & WTC lock into one of them (wish I had that one back). I also remember having to carve out a little depression in the bottom of the stock mortise on some of them for the Miroku factory lock to cycle properly.

I also have a Yeck US 1861, or at least a Yeck barrel with other US 1861 and some repro parts. I think some of the repro parts are from a Miroku, but can't be 100% sure and Mike Yeck is no longer around to ask. They sure look like it.
            Craig, I will have to try that. I bought 2 Navy Arms m1863/64??? back in the early 1970s when they first came out (Think the repro bayonets are STILL on the boat) One for me and my bother-in law got the other (His is in MInt unused condition) Can try interchageable parts on them. Bought the 1861 Miroku from Dixie in the late 1980s when they first came one. one for me, and one for my late best friend John Dewey. After his death from cance 5 years ago my other best friend Jim Hulburt ended up with that one. (out side of you, me and Jim Hulburt are the only ones I know that still have them (m1861). I'll try interchangable parts with mine and Jim's on that one too.

Weed
            John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
            The Hard Head Mess
            The Old Northwest Volunteers
            5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
            Civil War Battlefield Preservation
            Sons of American Revolution
            Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
            Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
            Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Hmm...
              Anyone know of a good Yeck M'61 barrel around that needs a good home?
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X