Correct Postition and Attachment of an Officer's Bullion Cap Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Postition and Attachment of an Officer's Bullion Cap Patch

Hello: I'm new on this forum. I've come here to ask a specific question about which I've searched and can't seem to find an answer. I have a Union Lt.'s kepi and want to apply a small oval patch, with a bullion bugle on the front, in a correct, or "normal," manner for the period The patch is actually more of a hard badge and there are no attachment loops on the back of it. Two questions:

(1) How would I go about attaching the badge to the front of the kepi? I'm assuming that I'd need to sew it on but, as the badge not soft and flexible it's not so obvious to me.

(2) Is there a convention on the vertical placement of the badge on the kepi front (eg above the base of the kepi in the soft wool of the crown, or lower, into the hard band portion)? Driving a needle through the hard lower band portion of the kepi coupled with the stiff badge might prove difficult. The badge is small enough so that it can fully fit into the soft crown area.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, but it's a gift and I'm hoping to get it right.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike Knight
    Mike Knight

Re: Correct Postition and Attachment of an Officer's Bullion Cap Patch

Given the diversity of private purchase insignia, it depends. Originals were either sewn directly the cap or attached via metal loops similar to those on cartridge belt and box plates. Because the height of private purchase kepis also varried, there doesn't seem to have been a convention regarding placement either. Although, there may be a U.S. regulation somewhere...

Above the band

On the band

Sewn on directly

Probably held on via loops on the backing
    Dave Schwartz,
    Company B, 79th NY Vols.
    (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Re: Correct Postition and Attachment of an Officer's Bullion Cap Patch

Dave: Many thanks for the answers and documentation to back it up. I couldn't have enjoyed a better response.

Mike
      Last edited by Jennison; 03-25-2017, 01:32 PM.
      Mike Knight

Comment

Working...
      X