Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid-up/Signed-up member attrition at events

All:

Over the past post-150th cycle, I have heard MANY people complain about the attrition of those that are paid-up and signed up for Event X. It just strikes me as odd that people sign up for an event, pay registration $$$ and DON'T show up all without telling any of their unit comrades.

I have heard this from many different sources at different events, not just one person bellyaching.

Now, we all have real world issues and that is understood, but what gives here? Is this really even a problem to begin with from your perspective in your local area? What is the nature of the problem, if there is one? How can we solve this, or can we solve this?

Thoughts from the community on this are welcome... JLlo
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Paid-up/Signed-up member attrition at events

I've seen the same thing with a mainstream group I joined and their events, and even people who pay annual dues and never show up to events. Perhaps this hobby attracts people who flake out on things.
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

There has been conversation about a $50 registration fee, with $25 refunded when you show up....

But....doubt it is practical for large events....smaller, say less than 300, maybe
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

I would also add guys who come to events only to stay one day and then bail. Living in Iowa every event we go to at a historical setting is a long drive. We always have a travel day set aside for our way home. At a 150th event a whole company left because of travel.
        Nathan Hellwig
        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

When I was most heavily involved in helping to organize the federal forces for the old Anders-Air reenactments I carefully tracked registrations for all participants and was later able to compare them with the actual strengths according to the morning reports. As a general rule "pre-event attrition" seemed to run around 25-35%. For the four events in 2002 that I saved data on the average attrition rate was a third, with the range running from 27-44%.

The attrition rate for events that allow or encourage walk-ons tended to be lower, the walk-ons compensating more or less for those who registered but didn't come. When working on the Confederate staff at Neshaminy, for example, I never bothered with looking at the registration numbers because so many people -- including myself -- just walked on.

These numbers varied according to expected event quality, arm of service, rank, and distance.

Among arm of services, cavalry and artillery have comparatively low attrition rates. I think that's due to the logistical challenges of moving horses and guns. These units seem much less likely to make a casual commitment. If they plan to go, nearly all of them will make it.

This also applies to folks like Mr. Hellwig as well as to "progressive" events in general. If you commit to a long-distance event and you expect to have a quality experience -- if it's one of a few events you really want to go to that year -- you've likely thought pretty seriously about it. I don't know what the exact count for the Shiloh adjunct was, but it looked like most of the fellows who said they'd go actually showed up and attrition was a lot lower than the range I cited above.

Distance affects attrition during the event, too. I remember a Saturday night at Recon III that took out 40% of the federal attendees. Most of them came from local units. Those who came from further away had less incentive to march through the rain and then try to drive ten hours home.

As for rank, the higher it is the more likely someone will attend. Frequency of attendance has an effect on rank to begin with. In addition, the higher the rank the more responsibility you feel, and the more likely your attendance with be missed.

The highest attendance rate I ever saw among infantry was the USCT at New Market Heights three years ago. We had about 70 registered for the "battalion" and about that number actually showed. There were drop outs, but Henrico County allowed us substitutes up to the last moment, and a certain number we hadn't expected got in without registering because they were actual descendants of the men who won the medal of honor in that battle. It wasn't a progressive event but people were highly motivated, traveling from points as distant as Chicago, Boston, and Florida. As one man told me, "This is sacred."

One practical lesson from all of this is that in general the registrants most likely not to show -- and that commanders should maybe reach out to and encourage more -- are infantry privates. People have to know that they're important and will be missed. It helps even more if the event will challenge them. That may deter people from registering to begin with, but the ones who do will more likely show.

That said, any time you have people signing up to reserve a spot a year or more before the actual event, life will change the plans of any number of them. Neither hand-wringing nor shaming will change that. You just have to understand what's normal and what factors are involved.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Maybe it would help to have the scenarios end on Sunday around noon-1pm instead of starting at noon - 1pm.
            Kenny Pavia
            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

You're right, but I think the Sunday schedule affects attendance that day more than it does the drop out rate before the event. Afternoon battles on Sunday also seem to happen more at "mainstream," recurring events than those tailored specifically for reenactors. Hosting sites want a decent crowd of spectators on both days, which seems to translate into luring the morning church crowd with something after brunch. To their credit, most organizers of progressive events try to get us on the road by noon.
              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

My problem is travel.. living in Jacksonville,FL. Now carpooling isn't the issue but getting off work is . When I can get time off on Friday then I leave Thursday. Oftentimes Idont know until 48 hours before when I'll start my trip. As toSunday? That's not a problem..
                Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

I like the idea on Sunday being done early , that's one reason I started doing campaign style at events i can bring what i need then pack up do sunday battle then go right for the car only event I had to leave early was 150th Bentonville bc my job wouldn't let have that monday off same thing go Manassas 150th
                  Justin Mays

Comment

Steer this back to the original topic, just for fun.

Someone would need to gather data and poll participants, etc., to really find out what is keeping folks at home, but I'll toss out some ideas:
                    1) They registered early before finding out they can't get off work, its someone's birthday/anniversary, the kid's sports schedule put the big game that same weekend, ad infinitum.
                    2) They registered, thinking they could buy everything they needed to meet the ridiculous impression guidelines, only to find out that no one is making a green suede RD7.5 with custom yellow trim.
                    3) Once they found out their other pards weren't going, they didn't want to go either.
                    4) When the rumors of a 10 mile march over a mountain on pavement got out, they said "screw this!"
                    5) They looked over the list of "officers" raising companies and thought "Nope. Uhn uh. Can't do it. Are you kidding me?"
                    6) All his stuff was in the car and then Bae showed him her new lingerie and an interesting pose she learned in yoga.
                    7) "I ran out of gas! I--I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!" (Jake Blues, 1980)
                    Last edited by PogueMahone; 06-14-2017, 08:21 PM. Reason: no idea what happened there ...
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Life happens and last minute changes will always happen.

1) allow substitutions
                      2) over book the event attendance- it works for the airlines- sounds like 10-20% is safe
                      3) as far as not telling anyone you're not coming- that's a unit issue- just common courtesy
                      Ken Derrenbacher

Comment

I am thinking along the same line as most of you. Many of our more progressive events and adjuncts (think 3rd PA Reserves at OTR or Wauhatchie) require some form of commitment or perceived commitment much in advance. I think it's common that men hurry up and register just so they have the option to attend. Then, things come up that keep them from attending, such as work, money shortages, etc. It is difficult for some people to plan so far in advance, but some just don't seem to put as much effort and thought into it beforehand as others do. Just my two cents.
                        Aaron M. Holley
                        Hardy Co., West Virginia
                        -----------------------------

The Broadside Mess

Comment

I signed up and paid for Shiloh this year and was really looking forward to it. The week before the event, my two year old jumped in the middle of my back! I decided to forego the trip for fear of waking up one morning at a camp site unable to get up off the ground. I'll try to not make a habit of it.

8th Kansas VI
                          Derrick Doty

Comment

Johnny,
                            The answer is simple. IMHO its a few things. Not listed in any order.

Its their money and some people like to waste it.
                            They are adults and after 18 yo they can do whatever they want.
                            They don't tell anyone because they fear the Wrath of Johnny and others... AKA they don't want to hear they suck. (Your name is for Example purpose)
                            They have heard the stories of Those people left Early ... Blah Blah man they suck for leaving early.
                            Its a volunteer hobby.. at least I am not getting paid..
                            Why the Millennials don't tell you is because they were raised in the era of you can't or shouldn't whip their ass. So the have no sense of structure for right or wrong / courteous or rudeness.

Now the best one yet and I plan to use is
                            6) All his stuff was in the car and then Bae showed him her new lingerie and an interesting pose she learned in yoga.

Now how to get over this.

Is to be thankful they wanted to come.
                            Be glad they came.
                            Tell them if they leave early "GodSpeed and hope to see you again".
                            If you hear people saying "Brent Sucked for leaving early" admonish them. Why because you were glad Brent came. (My name is for Example purpose)
                            You would know Brent left early or couldn't come. Why cause he got his ass whipped a lot...

my 2 cents
                            Last edited by Brent Dacus; 07-02-2017, 03:33 PM.
                            Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
                            The Company of Military Historians
                            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

I was forced to leave the 153rd New Market event on Saturday night due to an injury suffered earlier in the day, but I also noticed that a lot of reenactors seemed to be packing up and leaving early as well. I would attribute it to long travel times and people rushing to get back for work the following Monday. Just my .02 cents though...
                              Robert M. Farley
                              24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
                              - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Comment

Working...
                              X