Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedersoli uh oh!

Hallo!

Looks like two steps forward, three back.

New Pedersoli P1853 Enfields are arriving with a large flat clean-out screw in the bolsters!! :(

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Re: Pedersoli uh oh!

THAT is disgusting!
    Kevin Dally

Comment

This reminds me of the scene in the Waterboy:
      "Oh no! We suck again!"
      Jason David

Peter Pelican
      36th Illinois Co. "B"
      Prodigal Sons Mess
      Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I have posted to their facebook page asking for an explanation. I don't know why they would do this!

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Originally posted by curt schmidt View Post
          hallo!

Looks like two steps forward, three back.

New pedersoli p1853 enfields are arriving with a large flat clean-out screw in the bolsters!! :(

curt
          what!!!!!!??????
          Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Who's idea was that?!? Pretty much kills any attempt at authenticity...
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

You know...
              Pedersoli is not some "fly by night" company on a shoestring budget. You'd think they'd invest in a high condition original and then just replicate that. What gives!?
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

This is a recent development. I have a P58 and had a P53 - neither had a cleanout screw.

I have hit up Pedersoli via Facebook and Twitter and have not yet received a response. I just tried an email through their web page.

Steve
                Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

This appears to be a brand new change just arriving in country, as the newly redesigned "Enfields" that have been out for a couple of years (or so) did NOT have a bogus clean-out screw.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I got a response from them:

Dear Mr. Sheldon,

Yes, we made the improvement of the clean-out screw in the last production
                    of these rifles.

Best regards,
                    Customer service
                    Here was my response:

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not an improvement.

First of all, you guys went to great lengths to improve the authenticity
                    of the Type III Enfield when you took it over from Euroarms. The
                    clean-out screw is not historically correct for the Enfield.

Second of all, presumably one of the reasons you have done this is so that
                    you can drill along the axis of the nipple/cone down into the bolster, and
                    then cross-drill with the clean-out screw into the bore. This results in a
                    90-degree flash channel, which is not as conducive to ignition as the
                    straight-in fire channel of the traditional Enfield (and P1842
                    Springfield, for that matter). I'm sure it is harder to manufacture
                    having to drill the fire channel off-angle from the axis of the
                    nipple/cone, but that is the historically correct way to do it.

The reenacting online forums are buzzing with this change. People are
                    advising people to return muskets purchased that have this defect.

I highly recommend your revert to your previous, correct method of
                    manufacture.

Steve
                    Steve Sheldon

Comment

I hope they change their minds about this "improvement". Now I'm worried they might decide to go ahead and "upgrade" the Lorenz as well
                      Kevin Barnes

Comment

Look's like the "stock" of an older used Enfield just went up over night !! speaking of the Pedersoli Lorenz they have some visible things that will need to be removed "defarb" before they are correct to the naked eye, hopefully this ridiculous looking clean out screw will not be one of them.
                        Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

Just got another reply from Pedersoli:

We appreciate that you pay attention to all details.

NSSA re-enactors are often also shooters and when they started complainig being
                          difficult to clean the rifle, causing misfire during the compeititions, we had to
                          look for a solution.

It is an additional work that we make to have the clean out screw.

Best regards,

Customer service
                          My response:

Hi guys,

I've been shooting an Enfield with a custom barrel from Whitacre for 6
                          years now in N-SSA competition. It has the correct straight-through fire
                          channel into the bore, like yours used to have. I have yet to have a
                          misfire with it. And of course the British themselves manufactured
                          hundreds of thousands of them over decades.

In practice, I find it easier to clean the fire channel with a
                          straight-through fire channel like the Enfield as opposed to a 90-degree
                          channel like the 1861 Springfield. With a straight-through fire channel,
                          you just remove the cone/nipple and then use a pipe cleaner to clean a
                          single hole. With a 90-degree fire channel, you have to remove the
                          cleanout screw and the cone/nipple and clean 2 holes instead of 1.

But the bottom line is, your Enfield is no longer a historically correct
                          replica. I owned 2 of your rifles, the 1853 and 1858. I traded the 1853
                          for a Pedesoli 1859 Sharps Carbine. But I'll never buy another Pedersoli
                          Enfield with this defect. It's a real shame after all the efforts you
                          guys went to to make the Enfield look like a real Type III instead of the
                          Type IV that Euroarms copied from Parker Hale.

Steve
                          Steve Sheldon

Comment

I am curious since the new added clean out screw is absolutly not historically correct for that firearm would one of these "improved" Enfields even be NSSA legal? Be interesting to see since they reference NSSA shooters in the response above it they actually just killed their marked due to the modification? If there are any NSSA members on here might be an interesting point to bring up to NSSA leadership.

If Pedersoli will not alter production for historical accuracy reasons they might for financial reasons, IE the "improved" muskets not being eligible for NSSA shooting.
                            Edward Anthony Parrott
                            "Humbug"

Comment

Hallo!

The question has already been posted on the N-SSA page.

It is perhaps a strange response from Pedersoli in claiming they responded to "N-SSA" shooters when on the balance scale of market numbers the numbers of CW reenactors and living historians still exceed the couple of thousand or so N-SSA lads and the population using Enfields in the N-SSA is yet a smaller sub-set.

:(

IMHO, this may come down to a Squeaky Wheel and we shall see if reenactors give "voice" or not.

Historically, traditionally, the N-SSA has held a double standard on firearms when it came to mass produced commercial offerings versus individual single custom-builts. Especially so when such founder/member dignitaries such as say Val Forgett, Jr. (Navy Arms) or Mike Yeck were involved. (And the Italians got passes for such things as oversized bulk, wrong dimensions, wrong calibers, wrong model Enfield,
                              etc).

I suspect, predict, the N-SSA will not fuss.

Curt
                              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                              X