Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Arkansas/Cleburnes - Vintage Images

Evening All!

On my continuing quest to explore the foundations of authentic living history, Ike Gatlin has been kind enough to share some vintage images of the 1st Arkansas/Cleburnes... and there are some Mudsills thrown in.

Text Description from Ike: "The photos are from Shiloh living history and a Fort Donelson Living History. The Shiloh (color photo) is circa 1972. You will notice a few hobby dignitaries like Cal Kinzer the black colorized photo you may recognize as an attempt at duplicating a wartime photo from Battles and leaders. The federals in the photos are Mudsills. It is circa 1974."

If you have more photos to share of the 1st Arkansas or Cleburnes, please send them to me at etinohio@msn.com and I will add them to this post.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: 1st Arkansas/Cleburnes - Vintage Images

Joe Smotherman posted this one in the Mudsills Thread. Cleburnes from the Mid-70's:

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-09-2017, 08:28 PM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

Confederate prisoners at Ft Donelson circa 74ish. The newspaper clipping is the dedication of the Bushrod Johnson monument at Chickamauga. Circa 1977.

ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Cleburnes was a consolidation around four core groups: 1st Arkansas, 2nd Tennessee, 6th Mississippi and 27th Mississippi. This is a pic taken at the 125th Perryville event of the 2nd Tenn with our new Hardee Pattern battleflag. I'm on the back left.

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-09-2017, 09:24 PM.
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

This should be an interesting thread. I joined Cleburne's in 2001 as a 15 year old, learning about the group through my high school best friend. IIRC There were at least 3 "units" in Cleburne's at that time: I joined the 27th Mississippi which was mostly out of northern and central Mississippi, then there was the aforementioned 1st Arkansas out of Memphis, and finally there was the 2nd Tennessee out of the Nashville area. By the time I joined the individual unit distinctions were breaking down and there had been a schism between the more hardcore/campaign elements and a more mainstream element.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Cleburnes company formation at Murfreesboro/Stones River about 1979.

Ship Island, 1979

Mill Springs, KY - 1974
            Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-09-2017, 09:49 PM.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

From Ike Gatlin: The original "founding fathers" of the 1st Arkansas - (Left-to-Right) - Al Gatlin, David Bowers, David Stover, Tod Brought. Shiloh 125th. Small town Arkansas boys.

ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

From Ike Gatlin: Shiloh - 4th of July, 1974 - Letter of Appreciation to Cleburnes:

ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

From Ike Gatlin: Cleburnes with the Confederate Guard at Shiloh in 1977.

ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X